Ulster Schools 22 Lancashire Schools 5 & Ulster Clubs 0 Yorkshire 62

3 minutes, 6 seconds Read

Ulster Schools 22 Lancashire Schools 5
Report & Photographs By John Dickson

This was a most entertaining game! In bright sunshine the Ulster boys
made a strong start controlling the majority of the territory in the
first 20 minutes. Lancashire defended extremely well and showed real
determination to compete at the breakdown. This determination resulted in a series of penalty offenses which Ulster failed to turn into
points, outhalf Stuart Olding pushing two attempts past the uprights.

The visitors struck the first blow in the 30th minute with a sweeping
move which started in their 22. Turnover ball was moved right where
winger Joe Walsh headed for the open space. Ulster eventually halted
his progress but Walsh managed to off-load to the inside where play
progressed deep into the Ulster 22. A great try saving tackle by
fullback Rory Scholes looked to have prevented a try, but Lancashire
managed to offload again and it was fitting that Walsh, who had
started the move, was on hand to cross for the opening score which
went unconverted.

Ulster hit back well and dominated what was a final tetchy 10 minutes
spent 5 metres from the visitors line. The passion on display from
both side did spill over on a number of occasions but despite having a
series of 5 metres scrums and lineouts the home side failed to turn
their pressure into points and turned round at halftime 5 points adrift.

Ulster drew level in the 53rd minute when the ball was driven for the
line on a couple of occasions. When play was moved right outhalf
Robbie Magowan put in a beautiful cross-field kick which was collected
in goal for Wallace player David Scott who score the try. Scholes
missed the extras to leave the score tied at 5 points apiece.

The Ulster boys took the lead in the 63rd minute when the ball was
moved wide to find winger Rob Haldane. The young Campbell man did well
to shrug off a couple of tackles and managed to to stay in play then
stretch for the line to score at the corner. Scholes failed to add the
conversion leaving Ulster with a 10-5 lead.

Lancashire started to lose their way as the home side lifted the tempo
of the game and they lost the services of their openside for 10
minutes for persistent infringing at the breakdown.

Ulster struck again in the 68th minute, this time a determined run by
left wing Neil Burns was rewarded as he battled past a number of
defenders then stretched to score beside the posts. Scholes added the
extras to take the Ulster side 17-5 clear.

With 10 minutes to go the young Foyle and Londonderry College winger
Burns grabbed a second try, this time the pack did the hard yards, and
when play entered the Lancs 22 quick ball was fed wide to Burns who
still had a fair bit of work to do before making it over in the corner
for the final try which went unconverted to leave the final score 22-5.

A cracking game of rugby, well done to all involved.

Ulster Clubs 0 Yorkshire 62
The Ulster club side knew they faced a tough challenge having lost to
a strong Lancashire side on Monday the Yorkshire side would no

From the outset the writing was on the wall as a wave or red jerseys
smothered the Ulster white in what turned out to be a rather one-sided
try fest. The visitors ran out convincing winners their final
conversion going over off the upright to leave the final sore 0-62.

Again the commitment of the ulster side has to be applauded, they kept
fighting hard right to the final whistle and now look forward to
French opposition this weekend at Armagh RFC.

Report By John Dickson

Similar Posts