Ulster Rugby Senior League: Dungannon Rugby Club I XV 56 v Malone Rugby Club I XV 3 ~ Report & Pictures

2 minutes, 30 seconds Read

Ulster Senior League

Dungannon 56 v 3 Malone – Ulster Senior League

On a fine afternoon Dungannon put pressure on Malone from the start. The
busy Dungannon scrum half Jason Bloomfield was threatening the Malone line
but it was seven minutes in before Paul McKenzie and Kieran Campbell created
the opening for Stuart McCloskey to go over on right. Michael Lawton
converted with a good kick.
7 – 0

Within five minutes Malone had pulled back three points when Josh Pentland
converted after Dungannon infringed.
7 – 3
Following more good team work from Dungannon the pressure told and Malone
conceded a penalty that Michael Lawton dispatched on sixteen minutes.
Michael repeated the score after eighteen minutes.
13 – 3
Malone defended and Gannon pressed and eventually on twenty-six minutes a
snappy Bloomfield pass hit Timmy Smith on an unstoppable burst that took him
over behind the posts. Michael Lawton converted.
20 – 3
On thirty-three Michael Lawton kicked his third penalty
23 – 3
Just prior to half time Dungannon lost a player to the bin.

The second half started like the first with Mark O’Shea stopped by a last
gasp Malone tackle. Then Adam Duhig’s dazzling white feet almost created
an opening for David Egner. On fifty-minutes Jaryd Bennett put Derek Hall
through on the burst from twenty metres out. Michael Lawton again converted.
30 – 3
Next a typical Rowan Halsall thrusting run from outside the twenty-two was
thwarted literally a foot from the Malone line. Support arrived and the
quick thinking Duhig cleverly dived over for the try in the corner. Lawton
converted with a magnificent touchline conversion.
37 – 3
Dungannon kept pressing and when Craig Miller gained possession support from
Hall and Sinnamon sent Ben Howard driving over for a try. Michael Lawton
again converted from far out.
44 – 3
Malone, although they were trailing, were still contesting everything and
this effort would surely tell in the end. Eventually a series of quick moves
involving ten Dungannon players ended when Mark O’Shea burst through and
although Michael Lawton was outside him Mark backed himself and went on to
touch down. Michael Lawton converted on seventy-eight minutes.
51 – 3
In the final minute another Dungannon attack involving Steven Sinnamon,
Michael Kirkwood, Jaryd Bennett and Adam Duhig saw Michael Lawton open his
legs and race through to score with an extravagant dive. This capped a good
day for the winger who had a great day with the boot scoring a commendable
26 points
56 – 3
Another good day at the office for Fitzy’s boys. Malone gave them a tough
workout but the Director of Rugby was reasonably happy with the effort and
intensity that the players brought to the game.

Team: Mark O’Shea. Michael Lawton, Paul McKenzie, Stuart McCloskey, David
Egner. Kieran Campbell, Jason Bloomfield. Glen Sinnamon, Adam Duhig, Mark
Farquhar. Paul McCarroll, Craig Miller. Derek Hall, Rowan Halsall, Timothy
Smith. Steven Sinnamon, Ben Howard, Philip Hall, Michael Kirkwood, Jaryd
Referee: Michael Black (City of Derry)
Tries: Stuart McCloskey, Timothy Smith, Derek Hall, Adam Duhig, Ben Howard,
Mark O’Shea & Michael Lawton.
Cons: Michael Lawton (6).
Pen: Michael Lawton (3)

Similar Posts