Ulster Canal Stores Clones
Cultural & Tourism Centre
Tel. +353 47 52125
OFFICIALLY OPENING SEPTEMBER 2015
Restaurant / Bistro
Enjoy the ambience of our new Bistro, outside catering also available, Clones Lace Classes and Exhibition
Catering for Christenings, Funerals, Communions, & Christmas parties, Conference and Meeting Room Hire
Active Retirement activities and classes. We offer a variety of weekly classes, see our Facebook page HERE for more information.
Also available to hire for Private Functions.
UPDATED HISTORY OF THE ULSTER CANAL STORES
The newly refurbished ULSTER CANAL STORES was an integral element of the Clones Erne East Blackwater Partnership project. This project was part-financed by the European Union’s European Regional Development Fund through the INTERREG IVA Cross-border Programme and managed by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB). Funding was also provided by the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland and Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government in Ireland.
The CEEB project, principally a pre-development project, aimed to ensure that communities on or close to the Ulster Canal are in a position to benefit from its restoration. It also focused on the natural beauty and natural resources of the area and harness them to act as a catalyst for rural regeneration. This was achieved through investment in heritage and walking trails and in angling infrastructure in the region.
Monaghan County Council was the lead partner and delivered the project in partnership with Fermanagh District Council, Clones Town Council and Clones Development Society. A total of €1,688,258 was allocated to various project elements throughout Monaghan and Fermanagh.
These works included:
• A complete upgrade of the Ulster Canal Stores which includes a community operated restaurant / Bistro; a state of the art kitchen and a beautifully refurnished dining area, with landscaping area and picnic tables to the rear and side of this beautiful heritage building.
• We have a permanent Lace Exhibition and provide guided tours, classes and musical
evenings. The Ulster Canal Stores is HOME TO CLONES LACE
• Food is served daily and we cater for Parties, Conferences, Functions, Funeral buffets, children’s parties and we also provide Room Hire.
• As part of this development we also have a fabulous new children’s playground directly adjacent to the Ulster Canal Stores so it’s the perfect place for your child’s birthday party.
Other works included:-
• Improved interpretations of heritage sites;
• Public realm enhancements to landmark buildings and monuments in the town; and
• Improved Angling Infrastructure on Lakes within Clones area.
• Circular walking routes and eco-trail in Sliabh Beagh
• Angling infrastructure at game and coarse fishing lakes
• New information leaflets/maps and interpretative panels