Lisburn RFC Notes: I XV 5 v Enniskillen RFC I XV 22 ~ Report Live HERE!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes, 19 seconds Read

Having drawn with Enniskillen at Blaris, courtesy of an injury time try for the visitors, an optimistic Lisburn side travelled for the return match at Mullaghmeen. However, a number of players were unavailable and this combined with the poor weather conditions to make it a disappointing afternoon for Lisburn.
Lisburn kicked off facing the elements and with the ball not travelling 10 metres Enniskillen had a scrum on half way. They used this to their advantage and were soon threatening the Lisburn defence to the extent that Lisburn were penalised on their own 22 for not rolling away from the tackle. The Enniskillen fly half stepped up and with the wind behind him was able to easily convert to give his side a 3-0 lead after only 3 minutes. From the restart, Lisburn took the game to Enniskillen and a fine run from Adam Melville almost breached the defence. Unfortunately, he was penalised for not releasing the ball when tackled and Enniskillen were able to clear the danger right up to the Lisburn 22. They won their lineout and moved the ball through their backs for Lisburn to be caught offside. The fly half again converted the penalty to bring the score to 6-0 to Enniskillen after 12 minutes play. With the strong wind behind them, Enniskillen were able to pressurise the Lisburn defence for long periods. Lisburn defended well and gradually worked their way out of trouble on several occasions. However, they were fortunate not to go further behind when Enniskillen had a try disallowed on 32 minutes due to a forward pass. The referee brought play back for a penalty to Enniskillen but this time the conversion was missed. Enniskillen continued to press forward but the Lisburn defence held firm and a Lisburn counter attack led to one of the Enniskillen centres having to leave the field with an injury picked up in making a tackle. Lisburn were unable to take advantage of the extra man and the half ended with the score still on 6-0 to Enniskillen. With the wind behind them for the second half, Lisburn had reason to feel reasonably satisfied with the half time score line. Enniskillen received a boost at the start of the second period when their injured player was able to return to the fray and they won a penalty straight away when once again a Lisburn player failed to roll away after making a tackle. This was duly converted to increase the lead to 9-0. Lisburn responded with a great run from his own 22 deep into Enniskillen territory by Adam Melville who evaded several tacklers in the process. Unfortunately, the support was not there when he was eventually brought to ground and he was penalised for not releasing. Enniskillen cleared and worked their way into the Lisburn 22 with a series of pick up and drives until Lisburn were penalised at a ruck. The conversion struck the upright but went over to bring the score to 12-0. Lisburn tried hard to get back into the game but the Enniskillen forwards appeared to find the conditions more to their liking and after 67 minutes they scored a drop goal following a ruck won in front of the Lisburn posts bringing the score to 15-0. Both sides were reduced to 14 men on 71 minutes when an Enniskillen player deliberately prevented Lisburn taking a quick penalty. This led to a skirmish and the referee showed the yellow card to a player from each team. Lisburn were coming more into the game and showed what they were capable of when Nick Kennedy went over in the corner for the first try of the match following a good handling movement involving both forwards and backs. The quick drop kick conversion was missed, leaving the score at 15-5 to Enniskillen with 5 minutes of normal time remaining. However, Enniskillen had the final say when their prop forward burst through to score under the posts. The try was easily converted to leave the final score at 22-5 in favour of Enniskillen.

Similar Posts