Ireland Rugby League I XV: Ireland Fall to Scotland in Series Opener

3 minutes, 9 seconds Read

Ireland and Mark Aston got their International campaign off to a disappointing 26-6 loss to Celtic rivals Scotland.

Scotland Opened the scoring with four minutes gone after two repeat sets John Duffy slid the ball through for Alex Hurst who then converted his own try.

Despite falling behind early Ireland fought back and forced a Scottish error after Paul Handforth kicked for James Haley in the corner.

However, a poor pass in the resulting set hand the Scots possession back and they drove up field towards Irish territory. A knock on from Haley gave them another set as they looked to extend their lead.

Even though they were under massive pressure the Irish defensive line held strong and forced David Scott into touch on the last tackle.

Ireland got off the mark after seventeen minutes when Handforth manufactured a break down the right hand side of the field feeding who used his pace to get into the thirty yard line and off load to Handforth who was in support and in turn fed captain Liam Finn who trotted home to level the tie thanks to his conversion.

The score didn’t stay level for long after a penalty for chatting back to the referee put Scotland in prime field position and Crawford Matthews forced his way over to put his side in front once more.

Duffy then broke the Irish line with a neat footstep booth fantastic tracking back from Joe Taylor forced him to knock on while trying to off load.

However, neither side would get any further scores before the half as Steve Ganson signalled half time.

Within two minutes of the restart Scotland pounced on a loose pass from Handforth with Paddy Coupar gathering and running thirty yards to touch down leaving the score at 14-6.

Ireland again drove back but another loose pass ended their attack as Scotland went back on the attack.

It looked like Finn had set up Haley for Ireland’s second with a fine kick into the corner which the winger plucked out of the air. But the referee deemed he was offside and pulled him back.

A high error count hampered proceedings with both sides failing to find their rhythm.

The Wolfhounds again came close to pulling the game back but Haley was forced into touch. From the resulting set Ireland conceded and penalty and Scotland drove down to Ireland territory.

David Scott found space down the wing and used his speed to cross over in the corner. Again Hurst missed the kick leaving the score at 18-6 to Scotland.

Again Ireland’s ill discipline cost them when Finn stripped Sam Barlow and gave Scotland a penalty under the posts. Scott took over the kicking and extended the lead to 20-6.

Scotland finished the game off when Scott grabbed his second of the day after another loose pass handed the Scots possession and the winger flew down the wing to make is 26-6.

This would be the last action of the game as Ireland fell to Scotland for a second time in two meetings.

Ireland will now need to regroup ahead of a friendly against Wales in Neath next weekend.

Scotland: Alex Hurst, Crawford Matthews, Josh Barlow, Dave Arnot, David Scott, Lee Paterson, John Duffy, Jack Stearman, Andrew Henderson, Neil Lowe, Sam Barlow, Paddy Coupar, Alex Szoatak Interchange: Jack Howieson, Callum Clockburn, Mike Stewart, Giles Lomax

Tries: Hurst, Matthews, Coupar, Scott

Goals: Hurst 1/4, Scott 2/2

Man of the Match: John Duffy

Ireland: Greg McNally, Joe Taylor, Elliott Cosgrove, Ian Cross, James Haley, Paul Handforth, Liam Finn, Tyrone McCarthy, Lemeki Vunipulu, Ged Corcoran, Kyle Amor, Bob Beswick, Paddy Boyle Interchange: Callum Casey, Sean Carmody, Paddy Barcoe, Aaron McCloskey

Tries: Finn

Goals: Finn 1/1

Man of the Match: Tyrone McCarthy

Half Time: 10-6

Full Time: 26-6

Referee: Steve Ganson (England)

Similar Posts