UUC rugby let it slip in Carrick Rugby

3 minutes, 8 seconds Read

The University of Ulster, Coleraine travelled to Carrickfergus RFC to take on a side in a similar league position to themselves while looking to record their first league win of 2011. It was not to be again for UUC with the home side being made to work hard for their 30-20 victory.

Carrick got the game under way and within minutes had a penalty to the right of the posts but it was unsuccessful providing the students with an early let off. After this early scare UUC started to put together phases and worked their way into the Carrick half and after forcing them to kick out for a lineout. John Lutton rose above his opposite number to collect and allow Lee Murphy to release the student backline. Great play allowed the students to break the Carrick defence and after spreading the home side defence thin, Michael Dunleavy went over for the first try of the day. Lee Murphy stepped up and added the conversion, 7-0 to the visitors.

UUC looked to add to their total but Carrick fought back and after a series of scrums and knock-ons Carrick were awarded with a penalty for indiscipline which they successfully converted. Not content with the score-line Carrick battled back into the student half and wee awarded another penalty which was converted to make the score 7-6 to the visitors.

Carrick pinned UUC back into their 22 and after attempting to run it out, UUC were turned over and Carrick registered their first try of the game with the conversion unsuccessful making the score 13-7 to the home side. UUC forced their way back into the Carrick half and were awarded a penalty for indiscipline which resulted in Carrick being reduced to 14 men. Murphy stepped up and slotted the penalty away.

Another trip into the student half lead to Carrick breaking down the blind side and scoring in the corner, this time the conversion being successful. The students, looking for a way back into the game put together a great series of plays which resulted in another penalty which Murphy slotted over to make the score 18-13 at half time in favour of Carrick.

With the start of the second half came a rejuvenated student side that looked to attack the Carrick defence at every opportunity and were awarded for their efforts with another penalty which Murphy slotted over. A great break by Calum Rowden down the right wing, beating several defenders and some exquisite passing across the field by Richard Murphy and David Orr lead to Peter Smith going over to take UUC back into the lead. Lee Murphy hit the difficult conversion into the sun and could only watch as his effort hit the post, advantage UUC.

Carrick didn’t want to lose in their own back garden and made the UUC defence work hard and once they had stretched the UUC defence to breaking point scored in the corner to make it 23-20 to them. The conversion was missed.

With the minutes ticking away on the clock, the students threw everything they had at Carrick but couldn’t get out of their half and after a knock-on Carrick then looked to punish UUC and even after several pick and go’s they couldn’t get through the tight student defence but with the students right on their own line they had to go for broke but a near intercept was unsuccessful and Carrick spread the ball to the wing and scored their forth and bonus point try. The conversion was successful leaving the score 30-20 in favour of Carrick.

UUC welcome CIYMS to Cromore Road this Saturday looking to find that winning formula to end this run of defeats and start putting distance between themselves and the teams below them.

Arab online casinos on ازينو على الانترنت with arab casino games.

Similar Posts