Schools Cup BBC Interviews / Game Footage Methodist College v Wallace High School includes interviews with Nicky Wells & Michael Lagan

2 minutes, 6 seconds Read

Two Incredible semi finals this week and BBC were there to cover the action. Game 1 saw Methodist College play Wallace High School, the official Danske Bank Schools’ Cup Organisers report is below from this game and the BBC have interviews live now on their website CLICK HERE for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ School semi-final, Methodist College had to work extremely hard before they were able to see off the challenge of a very determined and skilful Wallace High School team.


The Wallace High School team attacked from the start of the game and scored an excellent try through their hard working centre, Ryan Branagh, twenty minutes into the game. Ryan Moore added the conversion into give the Wallace HS team a 7-0 lead. Wallace continued to dominate both territory and possession for the majority of the remainder of the first half with Jacob Stockdale continuing to cause immense problems for the Methody defence any time he got the ball into his hands. It was only in the final few minutes of the first half that Methody got close to the Wallace HS line. Methody captain, Michael Lagan, gave his team a major boost when he ran in for a try. Josh Bingham converted the try to draw the score level at 7-7 just before the break.
Wallace High School started the second half strongly and scored an early try through their impressive full back, Philip Hylands. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful but the Wallace HS team had a 12-7 lead. The game now opened up slightly with the Methody team realising they were going have to improve. The Methody outhalf,Josh Bingham, reduced the deficit to 12-10 when he was successful with a penalty opportunity. Back came the Wallace HS team with Ben Finlay, Jacob Stockdale and Jonny Stewart all causing problems for the Methody defence. Somehow they held out and a series of driven mauls saw the Methody team take play deep into Wallace HS territory. A Wallace HS player was binned for continuously collapsing the maul. From the resultant lineout, Methody appeared to have scored only to be brought back for another penalty. Once again, the ball was played into touch. Methody won the lineout and drove the ball over the Wallace High School line for a try with Steven Weir getting the touch down. Josh Bingham added the conversion to give his Methody team a 17-12 lead, a lead they held until the final whistle.

Similar Posts