Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Round Up Saturday 16th September 2017

10 minutes, 38 seconds Read

Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Round Up Saturday 16th September 2017
There were four midweek games played in the lead up to two age grade Inter Provincial games and a full list of schoolboy fixtures on Saturday 16th September.
The Royal School, Armagh team continued their fine start to the season with a 36-12 victory against a very gallant Banbridge Academy team. The Royal School team had built up a 19-12 lead by the break before going on to win the game by 36-12. James Brown, Zac Thompson and Oliver Webb all scored first half tries for the RS Armagh team with Zac adding two conversions. The Banbridge points came through tries from Tom Flanagan and Luke Crory with Tom adding one conversion.
The second half saw the Armagh team control affairs for long periods of time. Zac Thompson completed his hat trick with two more tries and Aaron Woods touched down for one. Zac was successful with one second half conversion.
The Strabane Academy v Foyle and Londonderry College game was a very close encounter with the Foyle College team winning the game by 22-17 in the last minute of the game. The first half was evenly contested with both teams having the opportunity to score tries in the early exchanges only to be denied by some last ditch defending. The Foyle College team took a 3-0 lead when Keelan Coyle was successful with a penalty kick. Just before the interval the Strabane Academy team took advantage of a charged down clearance kick to see Arun Mehan touch down for an unconverted try to give his team a 5-3 lead at half time.
The second half saw the Foyle College team starting well and Dan Jones ran in for an unconverted try to see his team into an 8-5 lead. The Strabane Academy team recovered from this set back and really took the game to the Foyle College team. They were rewarded for their enterprising approach with two tries from David Shaw and Jamie Browne, one of which was converted by team captain, Ralph Mealiff, to take a 17-8 lead going into the last ten minutes of the game. The Foyle College team reduced the arrears to 17-15 when Killeen Coyle ran in for a try which he converted successfully. From the restart the Foyle team moved the ball through several phases before scrum half, Andy Miller, scored under the Strabane Academy posts. Killeen Coyle added the conversion to secure the hard earned 22-17 victory for his Foyle and Londonderry College team. Killeen Coyle used the experienced gained by working with the Ulster Schools’ Age Grade squads over the summer period to secure the win for his team but it was the Strabane Academy flaker, Gareth Glendinning, who really caught the eye of neutral observers with his Man of the Match performance.
Antrim Grammar School continued their successful start to the season when they defeated a Ballymena Academy “Select” xv by 36-26. The game was sitting at 26-26 going into the final five minutes when the Antrim GS team pulled away to record their victory. Adam Carville scored two tries for the Antrim GS team with Adam Carville, Dylan Woods and Daniel Allen each touching down for one. Ben McDonagh added one penalty as well as four conversions for the Antrim Grammar school team. For The Ballymena Academy team John Glass and Paul Gocher stood out with their performances throughout the game and, alongside players such as Ben Johnston, Harry Cooke and Alex McKinney, accounted for the points scored by the Ballymena Academy team..
Carrickfergus Grammar School hosted Belfast High School in a game the Belfast High School team won by 40-0. Team captain, Ryan Gibson, led the way with two tries while Scott Hutton, Paddy Johnston, Cameron McKimm and Euan Watson each scored one try. Brandon McMinn was successful with four conversions while Andrew Regan converted a fifth.
On Saturday 16th September Campbell College played Ballyclare High School in a game the Campbell College team won by 13-10. The Campbell College points came through a try from Kieran Robinson, which was converted by Conor Rankin, a Conor Rankin penalty and a drop goal from Oscar Yandall.
The Ballyclare High School points came through a Josh Cowan try in the first and a second Josh Cowan try in the closing stages of the game.
The Royal School, Armagh team hosted St Gerard’s College from Bray in a game the St Gerard’s College team won by 15-10. The RS Armagh points came from an Oliver Webb try which was converted by Zac Thompson. Zac added one penalty as well.
Bangor Grammar School hosted Portadown College in a game the Bangor Grammar School team won by 26-14. The Bangor GS points came through a hat trick of tries from Riley Westwood and one try from Cameron Stewart. Rhys Larmour added three conversions.
The Portadown College points came through three Adam Speers penalty and an unconverted try from their industrious hooker, Matthew Gillespie.
Belfast Royal Academy recorded an impressive 48-5 victory against Dublin Catholic University School. They scored eight tries with James Lavery scoring two and Abdullah Sabri, Rory Linden, Adam Kane, Adam Kees, Jude Cowley and Jack Higgins touching down for one try each. Rory Linden added four conversions.
Cambridge Hosted hosted Friends’ school, Lisburn in a game that saw the Lisburn team finish as 10-0 winners. Following a scoreless first half the Friends’ School team scored second half unconverted tries through Jack Harte and Bradley Mulholland.
Dalriada School hosted Rainey Endowed School in the annual Arthur Topping Memorial Cup competition. The game was played in front of an enthusiastic group of supporters and finished with Dalriada winning the game by 22-0. Tries from Jacob Fleck, Jacob Butcher and James McCormick, alongside two conversion and a penalty from James, accounted for the Dalriada School points.
After the game the Arthur Topping Cup was presented by Mr Thomas Skelton, Principal of Dalriada School, to the victorious Dalriada captain, Curtis Pollock.
Foyle and Londonderry College hosted Limavady Grammar School in a game the Limavady Grammar School team won by 10-5. The Limavady GS points came from an Austin Hargin points, which was converted by Jamie Young. Jamie was also successful with a penalty kick.
The Foyle College try was scored by their energetic scrum half, Andy Miller.
Down High School hosted the Grosvenor Grammar School team in a game the Down High School team won by 47-0. The home team scored seven tries through Callum Dunn, William, Browne, who touched down for a hat trick, Robin Wilson and two from Greg Hutley. Greg added all seven conversions.
Omagh Academy hosted Coleraine Grammar School in an exciting game that finished as a 22-22 draw. Both teams were missing players due to the age grade Inter Pros. The Omagh points came through tries from Troy Booth, Nathan Kilfedder and Scott Ballantine. Taine Lagan was successful with two conversion kicks as well as one penalty.
The Coleraine Grammar School points came from through two tries from Andrew White and one try from Cameron Leighton. Pierce Crowe was successful with two conversion kicks as well as a penalty.
Regent House School hosted Enniskillen Royal Grammar School in a game the Enniskillen team won by 45-0. Their points came through tries from Reece Barrett, Reece Smyton, who touched down for a hat trick, Jack Rutledge, Jack Kennedy, and Aaron Crawford. Reece Smyton. Reece Smyton added four conversions with Ewan Haire adding a fifth.
Sullivan Upper recorded an impressive 59-21 win against Banbridge Academy. The Sullivan team had built up a 28-14 lead by the break with tries from Conor McKee, Jacob Cavanagh, who scored two, and Shaun Tyler. Conor McKee added four conversions. The Banbridge Academy points in the first half came from Jake Beattie and Jesse Knox tries with Tom Flanagan converting both.
The second half saw the Sullivan team run in tries from Adam McKenna, George Robb, Tim Nort, Peter Casement and Rory Houston. Conor McKee added two more conversions with Jack Christoph adding one. The Banbridge Academy points in the second half came through a second Jesse Know try which was converted by Tom Flanagan.
Wellington College hosted Larne Grammar School in a game which saw the Larne team record another impressive victory when they finished the game as 54-7 winners. Jack Withers scored four tries with Ross Currie, Euan Glenn, Lee McKee and Sean Lee Watson all touching down for one try each. Euan Glenn added six conversions with Lee McKee adding one.
The Wellington College points came from a Marcus Smyth try and conversion.
Lurgan College hosted Dromore High School in a closely contested game the Lurgan College team won by 13-12. The Lurgan College points came through a Reuben McCreery try and a touchline conversion and two penalties from Josh Best.
The Dromore High School points came through tries from Dean Dillon and Peter O’Connor and one conversion from Reuben Cobb.
Wallace High School travelled to play Castleknock College in Dublin in a game the Wallace High School team lost by 14-7. Joel Dundas scored the Wallace High School try which was converted by Jack Dillon.
There were two age grade Inter Pro games played at Osborne Park on the afternoon of Saturday 16th September. Despite the difficult overhead conditions the RBAI pitch had been immaculately prepared by the Belfast Inst ground staff who deserve great credit for their hard work. The Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ team was first up and they got the afternoon of to a great start when they defeated their Munster counterparts by 16-12 in an absorbing game. Nathan Doak gave the Ulster team a 3-0 lead in the early stages of the game when he converted a penalty opportunity. Four minutes later the Munster team drew level when Cian Whooley converted a penalty kick of his own. Two Minutes later the Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ team regained the lead when Nathan Doak was successful with his second penalty of the game. The Ulster team had a lot of possession throughout the remainder of the half but the Munster defence was solid. The Ulster team did, however, extend their lead to 9-3 when Nathan Doak converted another penalty just before the interval.
Early Munster pressure after the restart was rewarded when Cian Whooley kicked his second penalty of the game to reduce the arrears to 9-6. Another Cian Whooley penalty saw the teams draw level with the scoreboard reading 9-9. Midway through the half a clever kick from Robbie Armstrong saw the Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ team take opposition just outside the Munster 22m area. From the Munster throw Ulster regained possession and finished some great hard yards work with a try from Kevin McNaboe. Nathan Doak added the conversion to see the Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ team into a 16-9 lead. Back came Munster and seven minutes from the end Cian Whooley was successful with his fourth penalty of the game to reduce the Munster deficit to 16-12. The Ulster team then went on the attack and denied Munster any real territory or possession in the final few minutes of the game. This ensured the Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ team had secured their deserved 16-12 victory at the no-side whistle.
The final game for the Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ team will take place at Donnybrook Stadium in Dublin on Saturday 23rd September. A win or a draw in that game would be enough for the Ulster team to secure the IRFU Schools’ U18 Inter Pro title. All support would be welcome.
The second game of the afternoon at Osborne Park saw the Ulster U19 team play their Munster counterparts in a game that Munster won by 22-21. The Ulster team dominated the first half and took a 14-0 lead into the break through three penalties from Bruce Houston and an unconverted try from team captain, Claytan Milligan.
The second half saw the Ulster team lose two players to the ”bin” and the Munster team took advantage. Sean French ran in for a try, which was converted by Jake Flannery, to see his team reduce the arrears to 14-7. Then Jonathan Wrenn scored an unconverted try to further reduce the deficit to 14-12. A Conor Philips try, converted by Jake Flannery, then put Munster on the front foot with a 19-14 lead. This became 22-14 when Jake Flannery converted a penalty opportunity following an Ulster infringement. The Ulster team did mount something of a revival in the final few minutes of the game and got rewarded for their endeavours when Ben Savage was driven over the Munster line for a try. Bruce Houston converted the try but soon after the final whistle sounded and it was the Munster team that celebrated their hard earned 22-21 victory.

Similar Posts