REPORT Randalstown RFC 2s v Dungannon RFC 3s

2 minutes, 41 seconds Read

Dungannon 3rd XV 0 Randalstown 2nd XV 22
In a prelude to the main event of the afternoon Randalstown 2nds made the journey to Dungannon 3rds and notched up their first win in Junior 3 with a comfortable victory.
Having been unbeaten last season the 2nds have taken time to adjust this year with 4 straight defeats, and despite still not firing on all cylinders this will hopefully kickstart their season.
The weather was conducive to running rugby and ‘Town were quickly on top with plenty of possession, but as was to be a feature of the game were unable to put the home side completely to the sword.
With just over 10 minutes played ‘Town spread the ball from side to side, going through several phases before Scott McClenaghan powered through 2 tackles out wide to open the scoring.
Shortly afterwards Ben Winter picked a great line to split the home defence and touchdown, but was unfortunate to find the referee pulling it back for a forward pass.
On the half hour ‘Town added to their score as Sammy Hyndman and Mark Strange combined down the left wing before ball was shifted back across the line. Jamie Orr made good ground and put Conor Murray away to touch down under the posts. The full back added the extras and Randalstown turned around 12-0 up.
The opening 15 minutes of the second half saw ‘Town play their best rugby of the game, total dominating all aspects. Half backs McGoldrick and Turner were in total charge with probing kicks putting their side into good field position.
Within minutes of the restart Turner put in a neat grubber behind a flat defensive line and the impressive Orr was first up to gather and surge over.
Ten minutes later Hyndman turned over ball on halfway and McGoldrick broke blind linking with Conor Ferry. The big flanker burst through a couple of tackles to take ‘Town well into the Dungannon 22. Recycled ball found Orr who in turn put Andy White away to touch town in the corner.
This was to be the final score in a game which was becoming increasingly scrappy. The only further scoring opportunity fell to Dungannon as they enjoyed a brief period of pressure but good defence from the visitors held them out and ‘Town claimed a welcome victory.
Manager Sloane thought Orr & McGoldrick were impressive in the back line together with Ian Hume and Scott McClenaghan playing out of position and putting in a strong shift in the centre. In the pack Mark Strange had a strong game at number 8 and Michael Patterson tackled like a demon. Conor Ferry, recovering from a shoulder injury sustained last weekend, was powerful impact substitution at half time.
The seconds, by virtue of their early kick off, made it back to the clubhouse just in time for the rugby world cup final where a good crowd had gathered to watch the action on the big screen. It was an entertaining evening and thanks to all who supported their local club and turned up to enjoy the big contest.
Next Saturday both the seconds and thirds are at home to Lisburn and Ballynahinch respectively. Normal kick off time of 2.30 pm and as usual all support is warmly welcomed.

Similar Posts