Rainey Old Boys RFC Notes: III XV 92 v Ballyclare RFC III XV 15

3 minutes, 4 seconds Read

Junior 3 7th December 2013
Scores: P.Kidd(Try*3), M.Montgomery(Try*3), C.McNamee(Try*2), K.Campton(Try*2), C.McIvor(Try*1), K.Irvine(Try*1, Conv*11), G.McGucken(Try*1), M.Donnelly(Try*1)

After losing their opening game at Ballyclare back in August, Rainey III have won seven on the trot to sit proudly at the top of the table, the latest being a 92-15 rout of Ballyclare. in the return fixture. Conditions were perfect for Rainey’s running style of rugby and they got off to the perfect start with Ciaran McIvor claiming the first score of the day underneath the posts after only one minute. It was all one-way traffic as the pace and running lines of the Rainey backs tore Ballyclare to shreds. Time and again numerous players broke the first line of defense to cause mayhem inside the Ballyclare half.

Excellent handling and offloading saw dangermen Paddy Kidd and Mark Montgomery both score hat tricks out wide. Paddy Kidd’s second try was the best of his three, as he took on and beat four defenders to score in the corner. Mark Montgomery’s third try also stood out, after a sublime move instigated by Kenny Irvine. Ciaran McNamee claimed a try in each half, the first culminating with him finishing off a fantastic run from deep by Ciaran McIvor, who was the standout forward of the day.

Kenny Irvine and Mark Donnelly both prospered to score under the posts from Rainey’s dominant scrum, as scrum-half Connor Magee flashed the ball wide at every opportunity. Ballyclare’s sole reply in the half came from a penalty by Mark Surgenor.

Half time 61 – 3.

With the match effectively over and both sides picking up minor injuries, the second-half opened up even more. Paddy Kidd crossed for his third in the left hand corner after a scrum saw the Rainey backline use simple hands to pass the ball out to the winger to do the easy work. To Ballyclare’s credit they managed to hit back in a ten minute spell from which flanker Ross Scott and scrum-half Lewis Campbell both crossed the whitewash.

Rainey responded with in-form hooker Gavin McGucken on the end of a delightful pass by John McKenna to dot down in the corner. With Colin Patterson and Declan McKenna doing the hard work in clearing out rucks, returning No.8 Kyle Campton charged over from short range for his first try. His second was all down to his quick thinking as he took a quick tap from a penalty inside the Ballyclare 22’’ to pummel his way over the line.

With players going off the pitch to rest minor niggles, the final ten minutes of the match saw 12 man Rainey and 13 man Ballyclare still throwing the ball about. The final try of the day went to Ciaran McNamee after Declan McKenna hacked the ball down the pitch from half way. With both players and a defender chasing the ball as it went over the line, the ruthless McNamee barged his own teammate out of the way as both dived for the ball.

Man of the Match goes to Kenny Irvine, who controlled everything from fly half. Many of the day’s tries came from his vision and decision making.

Next week the team travel to Deramore Park to take on Belfast Harlequins III in the Crawford Cup. A close encounter is expected as Rainey narrowly defeated the city side by one point in an earlier league encounter.

TEAM: R.Michael, G.McGucken, D.McKenna, C.Patterson (c), C.O’Kane, C.McIvor, K.Campton, J.McKenna, C.Magee, K.Irvine, C.McNamee, M.Montgomery, D.Johnston, P.Kidd, M.Donnelly

Similar Posts