Rainey Old Boys RFC: III XV 40 v Omagh RFC III XV 40: REPORT LIVE HERE

2 minutes, 38 seconds Read

Junior 3 5th October 2013
Scores: C.McIvor(2*Try), C.McNamee(1*Try), M.Montgomery(1*Try), G.McGucken(1*Try), D.McGuckin(1*Try), K.Irvine(5*Conv)

Rainey wore their new blue away jersey on a sunny day in County Tryone. If ever there was a game of two halves then this was it. Kenny Irvine kicked the game off and saw teammate Ciaran McIvor leap highest. He plucked the ball out of the air and then sold three beautiful dummies to see him carry the ball deep into the 22’ from where the ball was recycled to in-form prop, Declan McKenna, who took it on further to gain good field position. More quick ball saw the ball popped up to Ciaran McIvor, who charged under the posts to put Rainey five points up with barely a minute on the clock.

Rainey had their tails up and it wasn’t long before Ciaran McNamee was in support, after Mark Montgomery made a break in midfield, to turn on the turbochargers and score the second underneath the posts. Rainey then picked up an injury as Declan McGuckin had to take ten minutes on the sideline to have his injured leg seen too. This didn’t stop the tidal wave of Rainey attacks however. Captain, Colin Patterson was next to set off on an attacking run. Claiming a majestic catch at half way, he beat several defenders to then give a pass to Gavin McGucken who shipped it to Ciaran McIvor who had the easy task of cantering over the line for his third try in two games.

Things only got better for the Magherafelt men as the athletic Mark Montgomery showed some great speed and strength to power over in the corner after some good rucking in the middle of the park by Connor O’Kane and Ryan Deehan. Gavin McGucken popped up in support yet again to be on the end of a well-worked backs move that involved some sharp passing by Kenny Irvine, Paddy Kidd and livewire fullback Mark Donnelly. With five minutes left until half time Declan McGuckin finished in the corner after Connor Magee had the vision to shift the ball from the right side of the pitch to the left. Rainey took the foot off the gas in the final minute as the Omagh out-half spotted a gap inside the 22’ to score under the posts.

The second half was dominated by lineouts in and around the Rainey 22’. Several comments said in frustration riled the referee as the game descended into farce. At times Rainey were their on worst enemies. Omagh managed to score two consolation tries towards the end.

The team now take a one week break before they take on Belfast Harlequins at home on 19th October. All support welcome.

Man of the Match goes to young starlet Andrew Davis, making his 30th appearance for the side. He tackled everything that came into his path, several times sending attackers twice his size backwards.

TEAM: R.Deehan, G.McGucken, D.McKenna, C.O’Kane, C.Patterson (c), C.McIvor, A.Davis, J.McKenna, C.Magee, K.Irvine, M.Montgomery, C.McNamee, P.Kidd, D.McGuckin, M.Donnelly

Similar Posts