Nutty Krust Tournament Semi-Final 2 report Omagh v Dromore. By Barney McGonigle

3 minutes, 45 seconds Read

Nutty Krust Tournament semi-final 2 Omagh v Dromore report 15-04-2015
The second semi-final of the 2015 Nutty Krust U18 Tournament took place at Chamber’s Park when Omagh RFC U18’s met Dromore RFC U18’s. The game was played in front of a good crowd of supporters from both clubs all of whom seemed to enjoy and appreciate the endeavour displayed throughout the game by both teams. The Dromore team took full advantage of the opportunities that came their way and they won the game by 26-6 which ensures their place in the Nutty Krust final against Rainey RFC U18’s on April 29th.
It was the Omagh team that started the game strongly and they took an early 3-0 lead when Stuart Ballentine was successful with a penalty opportunity with just four minutes on the clock.
The Dromore team responded in a positive manner and they mounted an attack down the blindside of a scrum. TJ Morris and Michael Watson combined successfully to see Michael finish off the attack with a try under the Omagh posts. TJ added the conversion to see the Dromore team into a 7-3 lead. The Dromore team took great confidence from this asnd set up a number of set piece opportunities in the Omagh 22m area. However, they found the Omagh lineout to be well-organised with players such as Mark Hopton-Brown, Macauley Killen and Sam Hamilton all combining to ensure the Dromore team did not get the quality possession they required.
Midway through the first half the Omagh team had the opportunity to reduce the deficit when a Dromore player obstructed an Omagh player close to the Dromore 22m line. The resultant penalty kick was unsuccessful and the points scoring opportunity lost.
The next number of minutes saw an intense period of midfield rugby with both backrows working hard to prevent the opposition gain any quality possession at the breakdown. Then a Dromore penalty into the corner set up a potential try scoring opportunity but the Omagh lineout was up to the challenge. There were no further first half scores which ensured the Dromore team took their 7-3 lead into the interval.
The Omagh team started the second half strongly with their driven maul tactic causing problems for the opposition. Eventually the Omagh team was awarded a penalty in the Dromore 22m area. Stuart Ballentine stepped up to convert the kick and the Dromore lead had been reduced to 7-6.
From the restart the Omagh team lost possession and the Dromore team took full advantage. A series of effective Dromore scrums and lineouts saw play taken into the Omagh 22m area. TJ Morris and Michael Watson combined, once again, to take play close to the Omagh line. Another effective Dromore lineout presented their back division with quality possession. This was well used and a flowing move finished with Marcus Heath scoring a fine try under the Omagh posts. TJ Morris added the conversion to see his team into a 14-6 lead.
Omagh recovered from this setback and took play deep into Dromore territory. A lineout close to the opposition line was well won by the Omagh pack. The ball was carried with pace towards the Dromore line only to be turned over a metre short of the intended destination. The Dromore team ran the ball out of defence and the threat was cleared. Matthew McMaster then hit a great line to carry the ball deep into Omagh territory. The ball was moved to Ashley Boyd who was illegally stopped five metres out. A quickly taken tapped penalty saw William Beatty send Kallem Travers in for a decisive Dromore try. TJ Morris added the extras to put his team into a comfortable 21-6 lead.
Dromore went on the attack immediately from the restart with centre, Jonnie Creighton, displaying some nifty footwork to put pressure on the Omagh defence. He then linked with Kallem Travers who was running a great support line and Kallem finished off with an unconverted try to put the Dromore team into a 26-6 lead with just five minutes remaining.
The Omagh determination never faded and they spent the last minutes of the game on the Omagh line. A charged down kick almost brought them the try they deserved but it was not to be. Dromore cleared the danger and celebrated their hard earned 26-6 victory at the no-side whistle.
Following the game Paul Stephens, representing the Nutty Krust Organising Committee, presented the Dromore flanker, Kallem Travers, with his Man of the March Award.

Similar Posts