Instonians Rugby U17’s Over Come Bangor Rugby: 33-7

1 minute, 54 seconds Read

Instonians U17’ overcame a lively Bangor side at Shawsbridge on 19th September. At first things did not look good for Instonians when they conceded a converted try after only 3 minutes – following a failure to clear out of their 22 from the kick-off. At this stage Bangor looked the livelier and more physical side and kept the Inst boys under a lot of pressure.

It was only after a try of their own that Instonian side settled. This came from a fantastic run by their scrum half who dodged round the blind side of a maul to run forty metres and score at the posts. He converted his own try and Instonians, at last, began to show confidence and hard running.

Having enjoyed a period of possession and pressure it was just before half time when Instonians scored a second converted try through their very determined flanker Brendan McKenna. Inst had won a lineout inside the Bangor 22 and driven towards the line. Determined Bangor tackling kept them out but Inst retained possession. Big second row Robbie Alexander made the initial burst, which saw him brought down just short of the line, but Brendan was on hand to pick up and score despite plenty of Bangor attention. This left the score 14-7 in Instonians favour at half time.

In the second half Bangor maintained their resistance but indiscipline meant that they gave away a stream of penalties. This allowed Instonians to mount waves of attack which eventually led to Michael Melville going over wide out on the right for another converted try after 17 minutes. To their credit Bangor continued to tackle ferociously but they seemed to be spent as an attacking force. In the last 5 minutes Instonians added two further tries through Jonny Spratt after a splendid clean break, which brought him to the goal line without a hand being led on him. The final try went to the, ever deserving, Hayden Nightingale who had battled away throughout the match in both the lineout and the loose.

Instonians would like to thank Bangor for giving us a tough, hard fought match and the referee who kept the game flowing freely.

Training continues at 7 pm on Thursday nights at Shawsbridge. We are always seeking to add to our squad so newcomers will be particularly welcome.

Similar Posts