Group Shot ! Armagh RFC !

3 minutes, 27 seconds Read



Armagh Seconds maintain good form

The local second fifteen maintained their recent good form when they entertained Grosvenor in another conference 2 league game at the Palace grounds. From the kick off, the early play was scrappy from both sides with handling errors the norm. TC Campbell made a good break getting behind the Grosvenor defence and offloading to Eoghan Baxter who showed great strength to touch down for the first try of the game. Cormac Fox was unsuccessful with the conversion, 5-0 to Armagh. Baxter had another run shortly after but was well tackled by the Grosvenor fullback. Grosvenor were turned over at a 5 metre scrum however the ball was lost out wide. On 25 minutes Harry Boyd put in a low kick behind the Grosvenor backs for Kyle Faloon to latch onto and score, 10-0 to Armagh. From a lineout in Grosvenor’s 22 Peter Elliott drove over the line for another try with the conversion added by Fox, 17-0. In addition to Mullan, Andrew Morton and Matthews in the front row, Stephen Morton and Con Oliver where providing the power to dominate the scrums giving good go forward ball to Campbell and Fox.  Quick ball from Campbell and Michael Rolston set Faloon away to the line for another unconverted try, 22-0. On the stroke of half time Baxter forced his way over for Fox to convert 29-0 to Armagh. On the restart the home team continued their all action game with James Hanna going over at the posts for a seven pointer, 36-0. With a Grosvenor prop now off the field, the scrums went uncontested and this gave Grosvenor more possession. After a lineout in Armagh’s 22, they scored an unconverted try, 36-5 to Armagh. Faloon was having a good day on the wing and after a long run from his own 22, ball was recycled for Hanna to go over for his second converted try. Elliott was rewarded for his hard work with another try and Paul Mullan scored his first senior try for Armagh after a determined run to the line. The referee blew up a few minutes early with the final score Armagh 53 Grosvenor 5.

Seconds Teach Students a Lesson

Armagh seconds travelled to the University of Ulster in Coleraine on Saturday to continue their conference 2 league series. With some players unavailable it gave an opportunity for the replacements to step up to the mark. Like the previous week the side scored an early 7 pointer with Eoghan Baxter breaking clear after the ball was moved left and right across the pitch. Kyle Faloon converted. Faloon and his UUC counterpart traded penalties to make the score 10-3 to Armagh shortly after. The visitors were struggling to create any continuity with numerous handling errors and wrong options being the order of the day. The students created an overlap and touched down in the corner for a deserved unconverted try on 32 minutes, 10-8. With UUC’s defence proving to be stubborn throughout, their backline were penalised for offside and the resulting penalty was kicked to the corner. Good lineout ball from Stephen Morton was moved to Faloon who stepped back inside to cut through and score at the posts, 17-8. The Armagh forwards were now starting to find their rhyme and after keeping possession through picking and driving, Philip Matthews stormed through for a fine try brushing off the UUC fullback in the process. With UUC knocking over another penalty, the halftime score was 22-11 to Armagh. Fresh from the halftime team talk, and playing downhill with the sun at their backs, Armagh raised the tempo and scored the bonus point try through Jack Sleator on 44 minutes converted by Faloon. With possession being dominated by Armagh, a lineout on the 10 metre line was won by Conleth Magillan. Faloon spotted a gap in UUC’s defence and again scorched over at the posts, 36-11. With Armagh’s confidence sky high, it was Baxter again to touch down with William Holden adding another when he took a nice line to go in at the posts. With both conversions added the referee blew up early with the final score 50-11 to Armagh.

Similar Posts