Dungannon RFC Notes: I XV, II XV & III XV In Action ~ Reports

5 minutes, 21 seconds Read

1st XV vs BELFAST HARLEQUINS (17 – 44)

Ulster Bank All Ireland League
The Master said, “You play with the hand you are dealt,” Belfast Harlequins were dealt a good hand and took full advantage to run out 44 – 17 winners at Stevenson Park.
Harlequins opened the scoring in the second minute when the classy Ian Porter converted a penalty.
0 – 3
A Porter kick later put Quins in good position; then their out half Stuart Olding noted that no one was at home and chipped into the Gannon in goal area allowing Michael Allen to win the race for the touch down, Ported converted after ten minutes.
0 – 10
Dungannon were lucky to survive a mid field mix up but following a Stuart McCloskey clearance Dungannon worked their way into the Quins half where Michael Lawton converted a penalty after twenty minutes. This was cancelled out by a second Ian Porter penalty on twenty-two minutes.
3 – 13
A few minutes later referee McCormack, who had a poor first half, binned Michael Kirkwood. James McMahon had tacked Michael Allen close to the touchline. Kirkwood came in and stole the ball whilst keeping on his feet. Unfortunately Michael, who had been sinned against at a previous reversed penalty incident, was binned for not releasing in the tackle! Dungannon kept their composure and held Quins in the run up to half time despite the one man deficit. A highlight of the period was a neat pick up and drive from Mark Farquhar that saw him emerge in daylight. Mark then put up a decent kick from defence that almost gave the chasers time to collect it. Then David Egner took a great high ball from which the pack were able to set up a series of phases. This was Gannon’s best period of the half and it certainly tested the Harlequins defence. The defence held and was relieved by the half time whistle.

The second half did not start well for Dungannon, some good work on the right by Quins say fullback Rory Scholes run in for a try.
3 – 18
Despite some good efforts Dungannon turned over a vital possession in defence. After a couple of phases Richard Lutton drove over. Porter converted on fifty minutes.
3 – 25
Dungannon went on the offensive again but unfortunately Harlequins gained possession close to their line and cleared a dangerous situation. They pressed and eventually Neil McComb drove over for the bonus point try after sixty-five minutes.
3 – 30
Dungannon were now chasing the game and it was no surprise when Neil Annett went over on seventy minutes with Porter converting.
3 – 37
Dungannon were now left with nothing but pride to play for and following a Michael Lawton break skipper Mark Jenkinson drove on along the touch lien and was able to feed Darren Simpson who with a final surge just made the try line. Michael Lawton converted on seventy-five minutes.
Three minutes later a Stuart McCloskey’s forty metre run took Dungannon into the heart of the Quins defence and when the ball was recycled no one was going to stop skipper Jenks as he barged over from fifteen metres out. Lawton again converted after seventy-eight minutes.
17 – 37
However Quins had the last word when Neil McComb drove over for a try converted by Ian Porter.
The ref blew for time and the Faithfull were left to lick their wounds.
This was a bitter disappointment for Dungannon but it will be a test of character as we must bounce back for next week’s visit of Galwegians.
Team:. Michael Lawton. Mark O’Shea Paul McKenzie, Stuart McCloskey, David Egner. Kieran Campbell, Michael Kirkwood. Glen Sinnamon, Adam Duhig, Mark Farquhar. Mark Jenkinson (Capt), Timothy Smith. Callum Threlfall, Rowan Halsall, James McMahon. Paul Jackson, Philip Whyte, Paul McCarroll, Jason Bloomfield, Darren Simpson.
Referee: Darragh McCormack
Tries: Darren Simpson & Mark Jenkinson
Conversions: Michael Lawton (2)
Penalties: Michael Lawton


3rd XV vs Enniskillen (29 – 5)

Magners Junior League
The IIIs kept up their unbeaten run with a convincing 29-5 win at Mullaghmeen.
Dungannon lost Steven Gavin after ten minutes which resulted in the dreaded uncontested scrums. However despite the one man deficit Dungannon opened the scoring when man of the match David Irwin crashed over for a try.
0 – 5
Then Simon Potter spotted a gap and weaved his was over for a try converted by Eddie Laverty.
0 – 12
Eddie himself rounded off the first half scoring when he benefitted from a good bit of offloading by Rory Patton. At some point toward the end of the half Edward decided that he should retire from the kicking for the day.
0 – 17
The second half saw Dungannon continue to dominate in the heavy underfoot conditions. Jerome McClure stretched his legs with a sixty metre run for a try.
0 -22
At about this time Rory Patton, who had taken over kicking duties from Eddie, suggested that his boots were probably not suited to kicking on a heavy pitch.
Enniskillen then weighed in with try.
5 – 22
When the forwards created the space for Jonny Toal to race over new man Plunkett McCallon decided to show the boys how to kick and promptly knocked over the conversion
5 – 27
A good performance by the IIIs with David Irwin enjoying his return after injury and debutant Plunkett McCallon making a good impression.

Team: Edward Laverty. Steven Graham, Jonny Toal, Mark Faloon, Jerome McClure. Rory Patton, Julian Knipe. Gareth McMullan, Simon Potter, Steven Gavin, Richard Holmes, Plunkett McCallon. David Irwin, Hamish McGibbon, Peter Keightley,
Referee: David McAlister
Tries: David Irwin, Simon Potter, Edward Laverty, Jerome McClure & Johnny Toal.
Conversions: Edward Laverty & Plunkett McCallon

2nd XV vs Enniskillen (22 – 55)

Kukri Conference League
Late call ups disrupted the II XV’s plans at Enniskillen. The Enniskillen pack dominated throughout but given the opportunity the Dungannon backs showed that they could put points on the board as evidenced by the fact that all Dungannon points came from the three quarters.
Brian Simpson scored a first half try with John McGuckin and a Paul Magee double plus John’s self conversion completing the Dungannon scouring.
It was a frustrating day because there is no doubt given any sort of possession this would have been a more competitive game.

Team: Alan Cummings. Brian Simpson, Jonathan Smith, Paul Magee, Cormac Convery. John McGuckin, Richard Fletcher. Adam Lockhart, Ally Moore, Ben Howard. Robin McCleary, Rodney Blair. Neil McGinley, Kirby Hamilton, Stuart McKenzie.
Referee: Alan Moore
Tries: Brian Simpson, John McGuckin & Paul Magee (2)
Conversions: John McGuckin

Similar Posts