Dungannon RFC Notes: I XV 27 v Belfast Harlequins RFC I XV 17 Report LIVE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! + SHOTTSS!!!!!! LIVE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes, 43 seconds Read

Belfast Harlequins did well to cough up a playable pitch for this Senior League clash at Deramore and when the game got under way it was the home side that made the early running. Chris Henderson kept the Quins back line on the move forcing Dungannon to concentrate on defence. Come 13 minutes Quins found a gap and flanker, Kyle Adams charged in at the corner. Henderson added a superb conversion and the home side were more than happy to go 7 points clear. However, it provided a wake up call for Dungannon and a few sharp words from skipper, Mark Jenkinson saw Dungannon hit back with a notable touchline dash from David Egner. Just short of the line he was bundled into touch by Roger Kirkwood. Dungannon held ground though and when Timmy Smith forced his way over the ref was unsighted and a 5 metre scrum was ordered. It proved to be third time lucky and there was to be no stopping of Rowan Halsall as he dived over to cut the deficit on 20 minutes. The Dungannon pack now had the momentum and 3 minutes later Smith capped a fine drive with a try to give the visitors a first time lead of 12-7. Quins retorted and used their pack to lay siege on the Dungannon line. Sound defence halted the danger and Quins had to be satisfied with a simple penalty from Henderson. Dungannon finished the half on top when Stuart McKenzie set up a ruck inside the home 22 but a subsequent ‘knock on’ spoiled a chance and the half-time whistle blew with the score at 10-12. CLICK HERE FOR THE SHOTTSS!”!”! Courtesy of Billy
Three minutes into the second half Quins regained the lead with Tom Frazer touching down following good work by the home pack. Henderson made it 17-12 with another excellent conversion. Buoyed up by the 5 point advantage, Quins launched another attack via the back line. Alas for the home side, McKenzie halted the attack and when the ball fell loose the same player quickly sent McCloskey on a break down the right flank. When the latter crossed to the left it was Egner who finished the job with a super 50 metre race for the line. That left the sides level at 17-17 on 47 minutes. Quins bounced back and almost benefited from a crossover in the back line. It still proved unlucky for the visitors as a harsh yellow card for Steven Sinnamon left the visitors with a 7 man pack. Undeterred, Dungannon kept control and Peter Cashel was unlucky to miss out following a diagonal kick from Jaryd Bennett. Quins now tried running the ball from defence before Smith made good use of a spillage and charged over for the bonus point try on 62 minutes. With Sinnamon back on the park Dungannon finished the stronger and when McCloskey made a 60 metre break it was Jenkinson who took the final pass to score Dungannon’s fifth and last try to leave the final score at 17-27.
Team: Jaryd Bennett. Peter Cashel, Sean Conway, Stuart McCloskey, David Egner. Gareth McGonigle, Rowan Halsall. Seven Sinnamon , Phil Whyte, Ben Howard. Paul McCarroll, Mark Jenkinson (Capt). Stuart McKenzie, Jeremy Turkington Timothy Smith. Replacements: Paul Jackson, Charlie Sargaison, Richard Holmes, Mark Faloon, Darren Simpson Referee: Stuart Douglas (Instonians).

Similar Posts