Dungannon RFC Notes: I XV 12 v Ballynahinch RFC I XV 22 – Report + Action Shots LIVE HERE

2 minutes, 47 seconds Read

A sunny and windy Stevenson Park was host to a large crowd full of anticipation as the League champions and the form team of Division 1B met on the last day of the season. Although the game was thoroughly competitive the second half was disappointing as defences dominated. Eventually Hinch broke the deadlock and won the game 22-12. Ballynahinch took the imitative from the start and were stopped by a Mark O’Shea tackle before an inside pass saw James Thompson race through on the right. They then butchered a great scoring opportunity before a penalty ten metes out saw the ball moved quickly and Kyle McCall did well to force his way over under the post for Blane McIlroy to convert. 0 – 12. Gannon gradually got to grips with the opposition and following a turnover Bates, Jackson, McCloskey and Cochrane took play into the Hinch twenty-two. When Bennett tried a break in midfield the ball was recycled and Paul Jackson sauntered over on the left for the try that Peter Nelson converted with a great kick. 7 – 12. Clever work by James Bates gave the ref the opportunity to spot Hinch offside and Gannon launched an attack from the penalty. The move ended with an apparent touchdown by Paul Magee that was not allowed by the ref. However Dungannon kept up the pressure and eventually Magee put Glen Telford through to level the scores on thirty-seven minutes. 12 – 12. CLICK HERE for a gallery of pictures
The second half did not reach any great heights as both teams fought for possession but the defences were dominant. Hinch had the territorial advantage and eventually a sustained attack saw Aaron Ferris go over in the corner on the hour. Blaine McIlroy converted with a fine effort from the touch line. Ten minutes later McIlroy put Hinch two scores ahead with a thirty-five metre penalty. 12 – 22. Although both sides tried the defences were dominant and there was no further scoring. A disappointing outcome but the better team on the day won.
A sad day for Dungannon as it ended the careers of two great servants of the Club, Mark Farquhar and Glen Telford. Both have had successful careers and both deserved success. Glen was a brilliant school boy who had a serious injury that threatened his career. He worked hard at his rugby and his chosen profession, gaining Ireland Club International caps as well as league and cup honours with Dungannon. We watched Mark come through the Youth teams and make a break through to the Senior squad before playing down the club for a season and then being ‘rediscovered’ and going on to form part of the best front row in Ulster rugby. They are both unquestionably good clubmen and we all wish them well in their retirement from playing. Ali Birch, is moving across the Irish Sea to join Rotherham. Birchy has also been a good servant to the club and whilst he has many playing years ahead of him, mostly we hope in the Province, we wish him well in his adventure in Yorkshire. He will always be welcome when he returns.
Team: Peter Nelson, Stuart McCloskey, Paul Magee, Glen Telford, Christopher Cochrane, Jaryd Bennett, James Bates, Glen Sinnamon, Paul Jackson, Mark Farquhar, Michael Dunleavy, Mark Jenkinson, Stuart McKenzie, Sean Doyle, Ali Birch. Jeremy Turkington, Steven Sinnamon, Rowan Halsall, Mark O’Shea, David Egner.

Similar Posts