Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Round Up Saturday 8th September 2018

10 minutes, 17 seconds Read

To follow INTOUCH RUGBY on Facebook CLICK HERE to Follow InTouch Schools & Clubs Rugby in Ulster & Lifestyle Specials page on Facebook CLICK HERE for TWITTER CLICK HERE

Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Round Up Saturday 8th September 2018

There was one midweek school 1stxv game played prior to the 2nd U19 Inter Provincial fixture, as well as quite a few schoolboy friendly games, played on Saturday 8th September.
Foyle and Londonderry College played Strabane Grammar School in a midweek fixture the Foyle College team won by 22-0. The Foyle College team used 32 players in the course of the game which was played over 3×20 minute sessions. This was an opportunity to welcome some U16 players back to the Foyle College ranks. Keelin Coyle scored two fine tries with William Finlay and Ben Galbraith each scoring one. Keelin Coyle was also successful with one conversion kick.
The Ulster U19 squad, with sixteen schoolboy players in the squad, played the second of their Inter Provincial games on Saturday 8th September when they hosted the Connacht U19 team at the Bangor Grammar School grounds. Having lost their first game away to Munster it was vital the Ulster team got back to winning ways against the well-organised and determined Connacht team and so it turned out to be with the Ulster U19 team recording a hard-earned, but ultimately well-deserved, 33-17 victory. The Ulster team had built up a 21-0 by the interval with tries through Ryan O’Neill and Thomas Armstrong, who touched down twice. Conor Rankin was successful with all three first half conversions.
The Connacht team displayed a great deal of bouncebackability in the course of the second half. They scored an unconverted try through Dylan Prendergast to reduce their deficit to 21-5. The Ulster team then scored an unconverted bonus point try through replacement prop, Robbie Mathers, to increase their lead to 26-5. Back came Connacht with a Joshua Dunne try to leave the scoreboard reading 26-10 in favour of Ulster going into the final quarter of the game. The score then became 33-10 in favour of the Ulster team when replacement hooker, Joel Dundas, ran in for a try, which was converted by Conor Rankin. Close to the end of the game Connacht came back once more when Tim Lambe touched down for their third try, which was converted by Dylan Prendergast, to leave the final score reading 33-17 in favour of the Ulster U19 team.
The Ulster U19 team will play their final game of the Inter-Provincial series when they host Leinster at the Newforge Country Club facilities on Saturday 15th September at 2-00pm. Support for this young Ulster U19 team would be very welcome.

Ulster U19 Squad v Connacht
1/Adam Hanna Banbridge Academy
2/Jack Treanor Armagh RFC
3/Seif El Gawad Malone RFC
4/Conor McMenamin Letterkenny RFC
5/Stephen Kelly Letterkenny RFC
6/Riley Westwood Bangor Grammar School
7/Ryan O’Neill Armagh RFC
8/David McCann Banbridge RFC
9/Lewis Finlay Ballynahinch RFC
10/Thomas Armstrong Methodist College, Belfast
11/Chris Larmour Methodist College, Belfast
12/Angus Adair (Capt) Royal Belfast Academical Institution
13/Ben Power Queen’s University RFC
14/Ethan McIlroy Methodist College, Belfast
15/ Conor Rankin Campbell College, Belfast
16/Joel Dundas Wallace High School
17/Ben McCrossan Bangor Grammar School
18/Robbie Mathers Banbridge RFC
19/Jack Stinson Campbell College, Belfast
20/David Brown Coleraine Grammar School
21/Charlie Worth Royal School, Armagh
22/Greg Hutley Down High School
23/Robbie Armstrong Methodist College, Belfast
24/Robbie Johnston Queen’s University RFC
Ulster U19 Management Team
Coach Jonny Gillespie
Assistant Coach Willie Anderson
Assistant Coach Jonathan Graham
Ulster Academy Director Kieran Campbell
S&C Coach Matthew Godfrey
Doctor Dr Owen Rainey
Physio Emily Gaffney
Ulster Age Grade Manager Michael Black
Kit and Logistics Manager Ian McCaugherty
Video Analyst Simon McLeod
Match Co-Ordinator Stephen Robinson
Assistant Team Manager David Kennedy
Manager Barney McGonigle
At Schools’ 1st xv level Dromore High School, Banbridge Academy and Portadown College played out a round robin tournament. Portadown College defeated Dromore High School by 33-0 and went on to defeat Banbridge Academy by 17-0. The Portadown College points against Dromore came from Daniel Moorcroft, who touched down twice, Dylan Nelson, Ethan Williamson and Peter Davidson. Adam Speers added four conversions.
Against the Banbridge Academy team Adam Hammond, Scott McDowell and Jordan McAteer each scored a try with Adam Speers adding one conversion for the Portadown College team.
Dromore High School defeated Banbridge Academy by 24-0 despite the best efforts of players such as Andrew Denvir and Thomas Walmsley on the Banbridge team. The Dromore High School points in this game were scored by Xander Lowtham, Peter O’Connor and Adam Whitten, who touched down twice. Rhys Dale added two conversions.
Carrickfergus Grammar School lost by 7-0 against Larne Grammar School for whom Taylor McGorran scored a try, following good work from Jack Withers. Jack was also successful with the conversion.
Bangor Grammar School played Royal School, Armagh in a game both teams had players involved in the U19 Inter-Provincial game. The RS Armagh team won the game by 12-7 with their points coming from a Ben Lavery try in the first half, which was converted by Romaine Morrow, followed by an unconverted second half try from Nicholas Jennings.
In response the Bangor Grammar School points came from a Conor Lusty try which was converted by Rhys Larmour.
Belfast Royal Academy lost by 12-11 against Ballyclare High School when the teams met in a very close encounter at the JC Picken playing fields at Roughfort. The Belfast Royal Academy points came from a Ben Brown try and two penalties from Daniel Logan.
The Ballyclare High School points came through two tries from Adam Campbell and a conversion from Mark Jackson.
Cambridge House and Coleraine Grammar School played out a 26-26 draw when the teams played on Saturday 8th. Kane McIlroy scored two tries for the Cambridge House team with James McNabney and Stuart Donald each touching down for one. Josh Caldwell was successful with three conversions.
Coleraine Grammar School also scored four tries in the course of the game, three of which were converted.
Grosvenor Grammar School lost by 31-14 against Dalriada School when the teams met at the Cameronian Drive venue. The Grosvenor Grammar School points came through tries from Jordan Brown and Adam Moore both of which were converted by Adam Moore.
The Dalriada School points came through tries from Thomas Hunter, Paddy Steele, Paddy Carson, Adam Wright and James McCormick, Henry Ross was successful with three conversions. Caleb Bartlett and Philip Irvine also impressed with their performances for the Dalriada School team.
Limavady Grammar School and Belfast High School used their game to play extended squads over 3×20 minute periods. The Belfast High School squad won over the three sessions by 19-15. Joe McCartney and Jonny McMichael scored tries for the Limavady Grammar School team.
Thabiso Madlala, Cameron McKimm and Andrew Regan scored tries for the Belfast High School team with Aaron Douglas adding two conversions.
Lurgan College defeated a Royal Belfast Academical Institution “Select” xv by 31-14. The Lurgan College team had built up a 19-0 by the interval with tries from Ryan Holmes, who touched down twice, and one from Peter Hutchinson. Josh Best added two conversions.
Lurgan College scored further tries in the second half through Jon Woods and Jack Dunn, one of which Josh Best converted.
The Belfast Inst team responded with two converted tries in the second half of this entertaining game.
Omagh Academy lost by 18-15 at the end of a very entertaining game against Down High School. The Down High School points came through two Luca Walsh penalties, an unconverted try from Jacob Cross and a try from Christy Lindsay which was converted by Luca Walsh.
The Omagh Academy points came through a Will Stewart penalty, a Ryan Armstrong try, which was converted by Will Stewart, and an unconverted try from Rory Ritchie who took advantage of good work from Jake McKay and Robbie Sproule.
Due to on-going works on the Campsie playing fields this game was played at Omagh Rugby Club. Both teams would like to thank Omagh RFC for the provision of facilities and hosting the game.
Another close encounter saw the Regent House School team defeat the Rainey Endowed School team by 19-14. Callum Dawson, Ryan Uprichard and Stuart Martin scored the Regent House School tries with Stuart Martin adding two conversions.
The Rainey Endowed School points came through tries from David Dripps and Karl Warner both of which were converted by Harry Evans.
Royal School, Dungannon defeated Friends’ School, Lisburn by 24-8. The RS Dungannon points came from two tries from Jack Girvan, one try from Jack Logan and one try from Adam Junk. Luke McMullan added two conversions.
The Friends’ School, Lisburn points came from a Reece Malone penalty as well as an unconverted try from Reece.
Having lost their last game against St Gerard’s School from Bray, the Wallace High School team was hoping to get back to winning ways when they hosted a young Ballymena Academy team. That was did happen at the end of the game with the Wallace High School team recording a 19-16 win. Ross McKay gave the Ballymena Academy team a 3-0 lead when he converted a penalty early in the game. Wallace responded with two converted tries to take a 14-3 lead. That lead was reduced to 14-6 when Ross McKay was successful with a second penalty just before the break.
Matthew Corr then scored a try, which Ross McKay converted, to reduce the Wallace HS lead to 14-13. A Ross McKay penalty gave Ballymena Academy a 16-14 lead going into the last six minutes of the game. However, with just three minutes of the game remaining an unconverted Wallace High School secured the 19-16 victory for the Wallace High School team.
Antrim Grammar School played Wellington College, Belfast in a game the Wellington College team won by 28-8. Tom Stanfield scored a first half try for the Wellington team which was converted by Jake Hamilton. Three tries in the second half from Man of the Match, Mark Shaw, and Wellington captain, Marcus Smyth, all of which were converted by Jake Hamilton, secured the impressive victory for the Wellington College team.
Enniskillen Royal Grammar School defeated Foyle and Londonderry College by 40-0. Captain Alex Parke opened their account with an unconverted try before Neal Rutledge and Curtis Coulter added further first half tries, both of which were converted by Eddie Keyes, to give the Enniskillen RGS team a 19-0 lead at the break.
The second half saw the Enniskillen RGS team continue to dominate proceedings. Calum Smyton, Harry Dane and Taine Haire each touched down for a try with Eddie Keys successfully converting all three to ensure the game finished with the Enniskillen Royal Grammar School as 40-0 winners.
Royal Belfast Academical Institution travelled to play Belvedere College in Dublin and were delighted to come away with an impressive 38-0 victory. The Belfast Inst team had built up a 17-0 lead by the break with three tries from Jude Postlethwaite, one of which was converted by Robin McIlveen.
Belfast Inst continued to dominate all aspects of play in the second half. They scored three further tries through Bradley McNamara, Dan Eakin and Jude Postlethwaite all of which were converted by Robin McIlveen to secure their 38-0 victory.
Campbell College travelled to play St Gerard’s School, Bray and came away with a closely contested 12-11 win. St Gerard’s School had taken an 8-0 lead through a penalty and unconverted try. The Campbell College team then scored a try through Dara Gaskin, which was converted by Jack Bonner, to reduce the deficit to 8-7 at the halftime break.
St Gerard’s School had a lot of possession in the early stages of the second half but strong Campbell College defence restricted the St Gerard’s School to one penalty which did increase the St Gerard’s School to 11-7. Midway through the second period Campbell College got good reward for their attacking instincts when Harry Owen ran in for an unconverted try which was sufficient to secure the 12-11 victory for the Campbell College, Belfast team.
Methodist College and Sullivan Upper School played out a training game which the extended Methody squad won by three tries to one. Peter O’Hagan, Jonny Riddell and Lorcan Hanratty were the try scorers for the Methodist College team.

Similar Posts