City Of Derry RFC Notes: POWERADE TOWNS CUP – II XV 33 v Randalstown RFC II XV 28

3 minutes, 22 seconds Read

City of Derry Rugby Club’s 2nd XV progressed to the second round of the Towns Cup when they overcame a determined Randalstown team at Judges Road on Saturday last. The result was in doubt to the final whistle as the scores came in a tit for tat fashion throughout the afternoon as the lead changed hands on a number of occasions. The winning score came with less than five minutes remaining from City of Derry tight prop Sam Duffy when he touched down for a converted try but the most aggrieved man on the pitch was Randalstown’s David Millar as the big forward scored a hat trick of try’s for a Man of the Match performance.
Derry started with all out attack but were rocked back on seven minutes when the Randalstown forwards showed their unity of purpose as Davis Millar scored his first try from a driving maul which was converted by full back Peter McCann for a 7pts to nil lead. Derry were right back on level terms on seventeen minutes when scrum half Jack Caithness made a fine break to release centre Paddy Blennerhassett who sprinted in from 30 meters to touch down for an excellent try which full back Peter Henderson converted.
Derry were in the lead for the first time on twenty minutes when Brian Prue won good lineout 25 meters out and Richard Baird made a strong break only to be stopped short of the line. Richard Peoples Derry’s out half was on had to pickup quick ruck ball and touch down for an unconverted try and Derry lead by 12pts to 7pts. Randalstown were in front again on thirty two minutes when Millar again touched down for a try, he picked up from a ruck 10 meters out following good work from his pack and with McCann converting Randalstown lead by 14pts to 12pts.
Derry got themselves back in the lead five minutes before the break when Captain Ryan Campbell pounced on loose ball 30 meters out and fended off a couple of tacklers before touching down by the posts for a great individual try and with Henderson converting Derry lead at half time by 19pts to 14pts.
Randalstown were back in the lead within five minutes of the restart, David Miller got in again for his hat trick of try’s following good sustained pressure from his pack. This try crowned a great individual performance from the best forward on the pitch and with McCann converting Randalstown lead by 21pts to 19pts. Richard Peoples put the home team back in the lead on fifteen minutes when he pounced on loose ball to touch down for a try following good forward play from Steven Jefferson, Cathal Creggan and Brian Prue. Peter Henderson converted and Derry were leading by 26pts to 21pts.
Randalstown came straight back at Derry but had a penalty miss on twenty two minutes. They were back in the lead three minutes later when scrum half Peter McWhirter combined with out half Rob Fleck to release centre William Montgomery who touched down for a try and with McCann converting the Co Antrim men were in front again by 28pts to 26pts.
The winning score and the best try of the game came from Derry on thirty six minutes. Derry won line out ball 30 meters out and Richard Baird made a great break showing power and pace before offloading to prop Sam Duffy in support. Duffy touched down for the match winning score and with Henderson converting Derry lead by 33pts to 28pts which they carried to the final whistle. City of Derry Coach James Doherty said after the game “we were delighted with the win considering the lack of games recently. I was really impressed by Randalstown who contributed to an exciting game on a miserable day for supporters. We just had that extra bit of quality which we were able to produce when required, we are happy to be in the next round and in a position to get out players more game time”.

Similar Posts