Belfast Harlequins RFC II XV Score 7 Tries For Second Week!!!!

2 minutes, 24 seconds Read

On Saturday 17th December Quins 2’s travelled to Hamilton Park to play Ards 2’s in the Ulster Senior 2nd XV League hoping to continue their winning form coming into the Christmas break.

The conditions were not good for clinical handling and most supporters thought the game was going to be forward orientated from both sides and certainly Ards who were playing into a strong wind played their game by putting the ball up their jumper and trying to crash through the dominant Quins pack. Quins defence was strong and on several occasions stopped Ards well behind the gain line meaning Ards could not form any attack. After good play by Quins on the 4th minute mark PK McKee crossed the home line for a try out wind on the left wing and some 8 minutes later after good handling by Paul Rea, PK was sent in again out wide.

Excellent game management by Quins 10 Robbie Creighton kept Ards in their half and soon Quins full back, Myles O’Hagan was to be on the end of excellent handling in such conditions to score on the right wing, converted by O’Hagan.

This put the score at 17 – 0 for the first 25 minutes of the game for the visitors.

On the 32 minute mark Quins forward dominance saw PK go over the line for his 3rd try against his former club, converted by O’Hagan.

Ards came back hard after the restart putting pressure on the Quins defence but the game was still to go Quins way with turn over ball and an excellent backs move saw O’Hagan going in for his 2nd try which he converted making the halftime score 31-0.

The second half was to start slow with the heavy ground taking the strenght out of both sides legs, however Quins were still to play their best rugby of the game. They went through their moves interlinking with backs and forwards resulting in two final scores both scored by Nikki Watt and converted by O’Hagan.

Final score was 45 – 0

It was a very entertaining game and was not as one sided as the score reflected, Ards never gave up and made it hard for Quins to secure the win.

It is the second week the side have managed 7 tries and it was done with 15 players on the pitch doing their part, all playing to their skills and well led this week by Mark McGrath.

Team Manager, Barry Dowling reflected after the match how well the guys did in such conditions to produce such an entertaining game and the commitment of the players.

Coach, Mark Henderson said that we had focused on playing rugby, not conditions and it paid off with some lovely play in the second half.

Quins now have a break for Christmas with their next fixture on New Years Eve away to Dungannon who currently are above them in the League by only 2 points.

Similar Posts