Banbridge RFC: I XV 32 v City Of Armagh RFC I XV 20 + II XV 42 v City Of Derry RFC II XV 19 + U17 I XV 41 v Malone RFC U17 I XV 31 + U15 I XV 37 v Malone RFC U15 I XV 12

7 minutes, 27 seconds Read

Irvine brace secures Senior Cup Win – ARMAGH 20 BANBRIDGE 32

Banbridge negotiated their way safely through the first round of the Ulster Senior Challenge Cup, eventually overcoming the tricky challenge of a useful Armagh side at the City Grounds last Saturday.

Coach Daniel Soper was pleased, not just with the result, but also with the intensity his team showed in overturning a half-time deficit. “That was quite a physical game”, he commented afterwards. “Armagh really put it up to us and that’s great in terms of preparation for the All-Ireland League.”

Bann were behind 13-12 at the break and it was only in the final quarter of the game that they really started to impose themselves, with two late tries putting the seal on what was an improved if still far from total performance.

“We were poor at times getting out of our own third,” said Soper. “Some of the options we took were poor and our kicking ill-directed. But on the positive side we scored five tries and were able to lift the intensity when it was needed. Last week against Instonians we created plenty of scoring chances but didn’t finish them off. This time we were much more clinical in the opposition ’22’.

“After our two defeats it was important to get the win to gain some confidence. We’re starting to get lots of competition for places, which is good heading to Cashel at the end of the month.

“Now we need to build on that against Ballynahinch on Wednesday and when we take on Armagh again next Saturday in the Ulster League.”

Stephen Irvine helped himself to two of Bann’s tries against Armagh with Shandon Scott, Andrew Morrison and Andrew Kirkwood grabbing one apiece. Scott’s two conversions and a penalty completed Bann’s tally.

Tonight’s game against Ballynahinch kicks off at 7.30pm and there will be added interest with the possibility of Bann lining out against two of their erstwhile team-mates, Jonny Murphy and Michael Cromie.

Seconds dispatch Derry in Junior Cup BANN SECONDS 42 CITY OF DERRY SECONDS 19

After successive league defeats at Malone and Instonians, Bann Seconds kick-started their season with what was ultimately a comprehensive Junior Cup win over City of Derry.

Having taken a 20-5 lead into the interval, Bann allowed Derry to claw their way back into contention at 27-19 with 15 minutes remaining, largely through their own indiscipline. But two late tries against the fading opposition left the winners with a margin that probably flattered them.

No 8 Alan Conn went in for the opening try, with Robin Thompson’s conversion and penalty soon afterwards opening up a ten point gap.

Derry came back strongly with good ball retention inside the home ‘22’ eventually paying off in the shape of an unconverted try. Thompson struck a second successful penalty and just before half-time full back Stephen Jackson took advantage of Gareth Houston’s break from the base of a scrum to cross for Bann’s second try, with Thompson’s boot again finding the target.

A strong start to the second half saw Derry pressurise the home line and after the referee had moved a penalty 10 metres closer for back-chat, the visitors crossed for a converted try.

After Jonny McCreery had set up a ruck on the Derry ’22’, Thompson’s dummy was bought by the defence and the out-half strolled in at the posts, adding the simple conversion. Bann were now 15 points clear but Derry were far from a spent force. They counter-attacked from their own ‘22’ to set their left winger off on a run to the line. Stephen Cowan thought his cover tackle had forced the ball-carrier into touch but the touch judge’s flag stayed down, the conversion was on target from the narrowest of angles and the result was again in doubt.

Three minutes later Thompson struck again, slotting over a third penalty. Then with three minutes remaining Conn picked up from a scrum on halfway, sold a dummy and raced in at the posts for his second try, which Thompson again converted. And to cap a fine all-round display, the No 8 collected the re-start kick and made good ground before linking with Keir Patterson on halfway. The young centre’s searing pace left the Derry defence trailing as he scorched home for the final score of the game.

Thompson’s 22 point tally saw him pick up the man-of-the-match accolade, although Conn pushed him all the way. And there were other noteworthy performances, with Ross Semple using his considerable bulk to good effect in the forward exchanges. Houston was a lively hard-working pivot who linked well with his threequarters and William Taylor put on an impressive cameo display after coming on as a late replacement in the unfamiliar flanker role.

U17’s start season with a bang BANN U-17s 41 MALONE U-17s 31

Bann’s Under 17s got their season off to a winning start, winning this friendly against Malone with rather more ease than the score would suggest.

The visitors kicked off the scoring with a 5th minute unconverted try but Bann’s response was immediate, with centre Adam Reaney handing off three defenders on a 50 metre run to the try line. Out-half Alex Walker burst through the Malone defence on the “22”, converting his try for good measure.

With the game fluid it was no surprise when Malone picked up their second try with the conversion levelling the scores.

But Bann dominated for the remainder of the half with Reaney completing his hat-trick and in between Walker adding and converting his second try to extend the lead to 29-12.

Reaney made it a dream debut when he picked up his fourth try early in the second half and winger Curtis Jackson raced from his own “22” for the team’s seventh touchdown, with Walker converting.

The introduction of replacements had an unsettling effect on the team’s rhythm and Malone hit back with three scores in the last quarter hour to bring their try tally to five, a respectable return from a game which was a useful exercise for both teams in the build-up to league action.

Although the Bann backs picked up all the team’s points, the coaches were more than pleased with a pack of forwards who were effective at the set piece and hard-working around the pitch.

U15’s over power Malone in season opener BANN U-15s37 MALONE U-15s 12

The U15s under the captaincy of Alistair McDowell took to the field eager to set down a marker early in front of the home support. Within 10 minutes Bann found themselves in the Malone ‘22’ after good work from the forwards. Quick ball from scrum-half Jamie Mullan to Charlie Jones playing at 10 saw Jones crash over for the opening score.

Bann quickly found themselves in the Malone ‘22’ again with the forwards working tirelessly. Matthew Neill found the space and forced his way over the line taking two defenders with him. Malone went on the offensive but a loose pass saw John Buller react quickest and kick the ball over the Malone backs. Jack Dolaghan won the race to the ball to touch down.

Jordan Mount came on for an injury and found himself on the end of a well-worked back move involving Jones and Buller and scored under the posts, with Jones adding the conversion. Before the half ended Mount once again ran a great line off Jones to outwit the defence and bring the half-time score to 27-0.

The second half was a much more even affair with the Malone No 8, out-half and inside centre showing their skills and putting Bann on the back foot, although it was the home side that got the first score. The impressive Jack McKinstry hooked a ball against the head, Morgan Topping quickly released the ball to Jones who with a show of the ball outwitted the defence and got over the line for his second try.

Malone came right back at Bann and with some great counter-rucking stole the ball off Bann and found the space for their abrasive No 8 to get the try. A super positional kick from Jones put Bann deep in the Malone half. From the following line out Bann won the ball and showed great off-loading skills and support play which ended with Matthew Neill going over the line for his second. To their credit Malone never gave up and finished the game with the final score with their flanker touching down in the corner.

This was a very good first game of the season with all the players impressing their coaches. The boys who stepped up from the U-13s did so with ease while the lads who have already had a year at this level looked assured and confident. Jones and Ben McArdle were the pick of the backs while McDowell and Cormac Murray stood out in the pack.

Training continues Wednesday nights from 7 to 8.30pm for all 3rd and 4th school years.

Arab online casinos on ازينو على الانترنت with arab casino games.

Similar Posts