Ballymena RFC: I XV 44 v Dungannon RFC I XV 8 + II XV 31 v Dungannon RFC II XV 13 + III XV 19 v Rainey Old Boys RFC III XV 29: REPORTS

6 minutes, 27 seconds Read

Ballymena 1’s hosted Dungannon 1’s and won

Ballymena got on the score board after 1 minute of play when they were awarded a penalty. Tim Small who has just arrived back from a season playing in Australia dispatched the ball between the uprights to open the scoring, 3-0. Dungannon were given the change to equalise the score several minutes later from a penalty. Chris Cousins kicked the penalty, 3-3. Ballymena confidence was starting to grow and were soon in the Dungannon half putting pressure on their defensive line. Ballymena were awarded with a scrum in the Dungannon 22. A strong push from the Ballymena pack put Dungannon on the back foot. The ball was finally picked up by the Outhalf and great hands from the backs put Jordan Foster in for the first try of the game. Tim Small added the conversion from the touch line, 10-3. At 31 minutes Dungannon’s Steven Todd was yellow carded for repeat offences. Straight after the sin binning Ballymena’s hooker John Andrews found space to score after great work from the Ballymena backs. Tim small added the extras, 17-3. With halftime approaching Ballymena’s backs went from deep and a Great off load from Glen Bailey sent winger Jordan Foster into space to race under the posts. Tim added the conversion to bring the half time score to 24-3.
The second half started the same as the first with an early penalty and the inform Tim Small made no mistake with the kick adding an extra 3 points to the score board, 27-3. The now dominate Ballymena team were putting Dungannon under pressure in all aspects of the game. The superior scrum gave Ballymena a great platform to attack from and Dungannon had no way of stopping the braid men. Ballymena found themselves deep inside the Dungannon 22 and Darrell Montgomery was able to dive over from a yard out for to seal Ballymena’s bonus point. The conversion was missed, 32-3. Shortly after the restart Dungannon worked their way into the braid men’s half and centre Cormac McCartney was on hand to finish a well worked move. The conversion was missed, 32-8. Ballymena rallied from the restart and were awarded a penalty. Tim small found touch 10 metre away from the Dungannon try line. Ballymena won the tine out and prop Adrian Kirkpatrick was drove over the line by his pack. Tim Small missed the touch line conversion, 37-8. With time running out the Ballymena backs who had been phenomenal in attack put together a game finishing move when they put winger Jordan Foster through for his hat trick of tries. Tim Small added the conversion to end the game 44-8.

Team- B.Young, J.Andrew, C.Cundell, Ireland, M.Rea, C.Smith, W.McKay, A.Hamilton, Shananan, G.Bailey, J.Foster, C.Patterson, J.Smith, J.Mcmullan, T.Small subs- A.Kirkpatrick, J.Taggart, M.Foster, Smyth, D.Montgomery.

Ballymena 2’s hosted Dungannon 2’s and won 31-13

Ballymena showed their dominance from the start and got their first chance of points with in 2 minutes in a form of a penalty. The resulting kick went wide of the posts. A few minutes later Ballymena got off the mark when Mikey Smith got another chance at the post and made it 3-0.
With 30 minutes of the game gone Dungannon were awarded their first penalty and the Outhalf levelled the game 3-3. Dungannon regained the ball from the restart and were quickly given a second penalty around the half way line. The Outhalf extended the visitors lead to 3-6. Ballymena went into half time 3 points down in a game they were dominating in possession and territory.
At the start of the second half Dungannon extended their lead when the winger intercepted a pass to race down the line to score a breakaway try. The conversion was added, 3-13, Ballymena stepped up their game and were awarded a kickable penalty. Mikey Smiths kick rebounded of the uprights. Ballymena started to take control in the second half and a well worked move put Shane McBurney under the posts for the braid men’s first try. Mikey Smith added the extras, 10-13. With Ballymena’s mounting pressure the Dungannon defensive line started to look tired. At the midway point in the second half Mikey Smith broke through a few tackles to score to the left of the uprights. Mikey added the 2 points, 17-13. From the restart Ballymena launched another attack which saw scrum half Richard McCrudden race clear to score under the post. Mikey Smith slotted the conversion between the posts, 24-13. Dungannon now had no answer for Ballymena rampaging forwards who were stronger in the rucks and breakdowns. Ballymena’s forwards were rewarded for their hard work when Chris Smith charged over the line to make the score 29-13. Mikey Smith added the extras, 31-13. With only minutes left on the clock Ballymena were able to hold onto the ball and win 31-13.

Team- Ferguson, Carmichael, Montgomery, Caldwell, Smith, McBurney, Longwell, Foster, McCrudden, Nicholl, Rainey, James, m.Smith, R.Smith, McGreer

Ballymena 3’s hosted hosted Rainey 3’s and lost 19-29

Ballymena received the kick off and after a series of rucks from the forwards found themselves deep inside the Rainey half. The braid men seemed to be getting the better of the Rainey forwards in and around the break down area. It was from a ruck that Ballymena opened the scoring when second row Alan Hughes picked the ball up and with help from the pack was pushed over the line. Jonny Small added the conversion, 7-0. Ballymena started to dominate the visiting team and with in 10 minutes nearly added a second try but Stefan McMaster was brought down short of the line. After a great period of possession from the braid men Rainey finally got their hands on the ball and sent it deep into the Ballymena half. The Rainey chasing group forced an error from the home side and after a quick tape and go Rainey crossed the line for a try. The conversion was missed, 7-5. From the restart Rainey rucked up the pitch and with some poor tackling their second row crashed over for a try. The conversion was added 7-12. Just before half time Ballymena got back the lead when captain Adam Smith crossed the chalk mark. Jonny Small added the extras. Half time 14-12.
The second half started badly for the braid men when they lost loose head prop Rodney Hall and fullback Karl Morris to injury. Reduced to 13 men Ballymena defended well but could not hold Rainey out when they were faced with a 2 man overlap. The Rainey out half added the extras, 14-19. From the restart Ballymena showed great determination and when the ball was spun out to Jonny Small on the wing he chipped the defenders and won the race to touch down for the try. The conversion was missed 19-19. Rainey upped the tempo but could not breakdown the Ballymena defence but were rewarded with a penalty in front of the posts. Rainey took the lead 19-22. The game was now into the last 10 minutes and Ballymena found themselves going down to 12 men when second row Mark Ferguson was yellow carded. Ballymena rallied and launch an attack but a pass from centre Timmy Hanna was intercepted and Rainey scored the last try of the game. The conversion was added. Final score 19-29

Team- R.Hall, P.Taylor, A.Hayes, M.Ferguson, A.Hughes, D.McKendry, C.Millar, A.Smith, J.Cunningham, J.Small, M.Ervine, T.Hanna, J.Mckeown, S.McMaster, K.Morris

This weeks game sees the 1’s start their AIL campaign with a home game against galweigins at 2.30pm
The club will also be running a casino night after the game 8pm-11pm
All support welcome!

Similar Posts