BALLYCLARE WIN MOVES TEAM UP TO THIRD PLACE: Ballyclare Rugby I XV 25 v Grosvenor Rugby I XV 3

4 minutes, 54 seconds Read

Ballyclare Rugby Club by virtue of a 25-3 win away to Grosvenor F.P. on Saturday have moved into third place in Qualifying 2 despite a sluggish start to their league programmeback in September. The two sides above them are Donaghadee and C.I.Y.M.S. who are both unbeaten to date. The only changes on the Clare side were Steve Morrow at full back and Graeme McKinstry in the second row. Grosvenor exerted the early pressure but Ian Russell slotted a penalty to put the visitors 3-0 ahead.The home side again came forward but good work b y McKinstry allowed Russell to clear the danger. S.Morrow took play up to the home 22 and Jackson was halted near the line. Grosvenor lost their hooker and the Clare pack drove towads the line and J.J.Baird raced in at the corner for an unconverted try. The home side did come back and were halted near the Clare line forcing Russell to clear. But Ballyclare ran the ball via Paul Morrow and Baird with skipper Willie Logan on hand to get a try converted by Russellfor a 15-0 lead. At the restart Grosvenor had a penalty but missed and another attack was halted by a mcGrugan tackle. Just before the interval Baird was halted after another strong mid field break.
Click Here for pictures for 40 photos from the game, pictures courtesy of ~David Irvine, Gleno Photo, for high resolution e: – CLICK HERE –
At the restart of the second half Weatherup made a typical surge which eventually led to a penalty for Russell to take the Clare into an 18-0 lead. Once again Grosvenor countered but Collie Morrow cleared. They managed to kick a penalty for a consolation few points before Robert Boyd made ground but lacked support.The city side missed another penalty chance and then a storming run from Nigel Moore allowed the Clare backs to get into the home 22 with Logan once again going over for a try which Russell converted to go 25-3 in front. In the closing minutes Ballyclare went close to scoring again with P.Morrow,Baird and Logan all being halted short of the line
Ballyclare 2nds 0 Ballymoney 2nds 31— The Seconds were missing skipper Michael Stevenson for this Junior 1 game against a strong Ballymoney team. Their cause was not helped when after twenty minutes they lost key back Steven Baillie with a suspected broken cheek bone. In the second half they lost another player and found it difficult to halt the visitors who got two tries in the first half and three in the second. It is imperative that the Seconds get back to winning ways as they are presently close to the bottom of the league table.
Ballyclare 3rds 50 Limavady 2nds 0 In this Junior 3 game the visitors were half an hour late in arriving and never really got organised.The thirds started with a try from Dave Caldwell converted by gareth Byers who later missed a penalty. Then good work from Aaron Weir created the chance for Byers to get a try which he also converted to lead 14-0.Next from a set scrum Tony Turner got over for a score near the corner and this was followed by a try from Alex Baird to make it 24-0 at half time. A feature of the power up front was the work rate by second row Bob Wasson and Matthew Crothers. Early in the second half Mark Weatherup went in for atry converted by Andrew Alexander.Weir was now sin binned but it did not stop Baird getting his second score for a 36-0 lead.The Thirds pack was now well on top and Crothers drove over for a try converted by Alexander.Near the end a strong run by Alexander enabled Crothers to get over again and Alexander added the points to bring up the 50 points which helps make up for the reverse the previous week at Donaghadee.
UNDER 19 XV WIN AGAIN The unbeaten Under 19 side travelled to Carrick for a vital league game and took an early 5-0 lead with a try by top scorer Craig Wallace. the lead was increased by a penalty from Chris Harvey and before the interval Lewis Campbell went in for an unconverted try to build up a useful 13-0 lead.Carrick started the second half strongly and began to win more ball only to be halted by a series of superb tackles from Jack Bowers. Unfortunately Wallace was yellow carded and Carrick eventually got a deserved converted to reduce the Clare lead.But great work up front by Jonny Potts and man of the match Clarke McCartney kept the Clare boys together and then a mid field break ended with Campbell racing over for a try to give the team an 18-7 lead which they held to the end.According to coach Robin Byers there were strong performances from Bowers and Mark Wright. The result means that the side cannot be caught in the league and a big appeal comes from coach Byers for support on Saturday when the team take on Randalstown at the Cloughan and a win captures the league section.
Saturday Fixtures 1st XV no game; 2nd XV v Coleraine 2nds (home); 3rd XV v Ballynahinch 5ths (away); 4th XV v Malone 5ths (home ) 1-00 p.m. U19 XV v Randalstown (home). Last Saturday the Fourths had no game as C.I.Y.M.S.4ths failed to raise a side.

Click Here for pictures for 40 photos from the game, pictures courtesy of ~David Irvine, Gleno Photo, for high resolution e: – CLICK HERE –

Similar Posts