Ballyclare Rugby Club Notes: CLEAN SWEEP: I, II, III & IV XV: Notes & Pictures

5 minutes, 2 seconds Read

Saturday was another bright day for the teams of Ballyclare R.F.C. with wins for each one.

The 1st XV was stretched more than what might have been expected at Lisburn before coming out on top narrowly 29-25.

At the Cloughan the Swconds had a deserved 15-6 win over Portadown 2nds and the Thirds defeated Harlequins 3rds by 13-7. On Friday night under the Cloughan lights the Fourths beat Holywood 3rds 48-0.

Lisburn 25 Ballyclare 29
Ballyclare included Rob Boyd back from his trip to the New Zealand World Cup and Chris Coburn at flanker against a Lisburn team that seemed really up for the test. But all the early pressure came from the visitors though the home side missed an early penalty-the first of many that they were awarded.The Clare pack drove to the home line and Al Boyd got the touch down with Lawther converting to deservedly lead 7-0.Then a break by Jackson saw Lawther almost through a gap and Logan was unlucky to lose posession near the line.Morrow seemed to be in for a try but play was brought back for a scrum to the Clare who were well on top at this stage. In a rare break out the home side had a penalty for a late tackle and Hughes kicked it to reduce the arrears. The Clare were soon back inside the Lisburn 22 but were unlucky to lose lineout ball and the home side made ground forcing Lawther to clear. Then Lisburn had three penalties inside the same number of minutes and Hughes eventually made it 7-6 from the last kick just before half time.

A powerful start by the home pack led to a deserved try which Hughes converted to go 13-7 up. But they had a man sin binned before Weatherup broke clear and a score was prevented by a dropped pass.However the home side was adjudged off side and Lawther slotted the kick to make it 13-10. Another break by Jackson could have brought atry only for a lack of support but Byers picked up at half way and beat four tacklers to go in for a fine try to regain the lead. The Clare were now in control and Clotworthy raced clear from near half way to get a try which Lawther converted to go 22-13 clear. Next a searing run from mid field by full back Byers ended with the young player getting his second try converted by Lawther and at 29-13 the game seemed over. But with the visitors trying to run the ball on their own 22 an interception by Erwin gave Lisburn a try converted by Hughes. Then McKinstry was off with a facial injury but bravely returned only to see the home team get in at the corner making the score amazingly close at 29-25. There were close to a dozen minutes of injury time as Lisburn ran several late penalties but just failed to get what would have been a winning score . Ballyclare held out for full points but had both locks Rob Boyd and McKinstry injured at the end.
Team-G.Byers; G.Weatherup,J.Jackson,G.Clotworthy,J.J.Baird; N.Lawther,C.Morrow; A.Boyd,A.Wylie,M.Finlay; R.Boyd,G.McKinstry; C.Coburn,W.Logan(capt),P.Robinson.

Ballyclare 2nds 15 Portadown 2nds 6
Gleno Photo Action Pictures ~ CLICK HERE (folder 1 & 2)
Jonny Birkmyre`s Seconds got their third win from five starts against a useful Portadown team. They got on top early on with great play up front by Ross Scott ,Ian Heaney and Crothers the latter being unlucky to have two scores disallowed.But eventually the pressure by the pack led to a try from Michael Stevenson which Russell could not convert. But the visitors hit back and converted two penalties to go 6-5 ahead at the interval. The seconds defended well to keep their line intact and eventually got on top in the second half as Purdy looked for a drop goal to get the win. The chance did come to Russell who slotted over the kick to edge 8-6 ahead. Into the last ten minutes and a strike against the head by Scott gave Purdy the chance to open play and Chris Gillen broke to go in for the try which Russell converted to take a 15-6 lead and they held on for the win. Man of the match was Ian Heaney well supported up front by Crothers ,Stevenson ,Scott and Birkmyre with Purdy,Gillan,Crawford and King doing well in the backs.

Ballyclare 3rds 13 Harlequins 3rds 7
Gleno Photo Action Pictures ~ CLICK HERE (folder 1 & 2)
the Thirds are also on a good run and had to work hard against a strong Quins team. They made a bright start and winger Mark Weatherup raced clear for atry which was not converted. Then Andrew Alexander slotted over a penalty to go 8-0 ahead. He was just wide with a later effort so it was still 8-0 at the break.
In the second half scrum half Mark Thompson charged down a clearance by Quins and nipped in for a try near the corner and lead 13-0. The city side came back strongly near the end to get a converted try but the Thirds held on for a good win. They were well served by skipper and man of the match Tony Turner and Phil Moan in the pack plus Thompson and Alexander at half back.

Ballyclare 4ths 48 Holywood 3rds 0

On Friday night under the Cloughan lights the Fourths recorded another big win despite missig Gaston and Logan.This time they managed to score eight tries with the conversions shared by John Wasson and Cavan watson who may begin to rate as a regular kicker. On the night the tries came from Neil Reynolds with two, Alan Carson, Trevor Clarke also with two, Nial Lamont and two for Paul Morrow.

The Under 19 XV went down 22-5 away to a strong Carrick side in the league.

Week end Fixtures—1st XV v University of Ulster (Coleraine); Under 19 xv v Ballymena ( home )

Arab online casinos on ازينو على الانترنت with arab casino games.

Similar Posts