Armoy Rugby I XV managed to keep their 100% league record intact in what was a real game of 2 halves v Ballymoney Rugby V XV

2 minutes, 16 seconds Read

With Ballymoney fielding an almost completely different side to the team that were beaten 63-0 at Armoy earlier in the season, the men from Limepark realised that they were up against a more experienced side that would not be brushed aside so easily on this occasion.
From the kick off the Ballymoney pack had Armoy camped in their own half for easily the first 20 minutes but could not convert this early dominance into points. After 25 minutes Armoy seemed to decide enough was enough and went on the attack. After a series of good attacking phases Armoy were awarded a penalty in front of the posts which Jarvis Traynor converted.
From the resultant kick off Ballymoney pressurised once more and forced a penalty of their own which was also converted.
The remainder of the half was played out with even possesion for both teams but no further scores.

Half time 3-3
During the half time interval Armoy Capt G.Christie gave a most motivating pep talk and each man a good slap which payed divedends as Armoy were a completely different side from the kick off.This time the Armoy forwards had their rivals on the back foot and from a tap penalty prop Alan Dempster set up a ruck which was quickly passed out to Stevie Bartlett who in turn fed the ball to Gareth Christie to run under the posts for a try. Converted by J Traynor.
More good play from the forwards led to the ball being passed along the back line out to outside centre Sammy McMullan to burst through a couple of tackles and in for a try 5 meters in. Conversion unsuccesful.
The next try came from a well worked back line move with the ball reaching out half Barry Kelly who somehow managed to catch the ball behind his own back and juggling it over his head for a clear run under the posts after finding a gap in the Ballymoney defence. Conversion by Traynor succesful.
Ballymoney were now a beaten side and gaps were opening up for the eager Armoy backs to exploit, Sammy McMullan was to take advantage of one of these gaps to charge over the line for his second try of the match.Conversion unsuccesful.
Straight from the kick off Armoy added their fifth and final try the kick off was caught by second row Daniel Ramage who fed the ball to his second row counterpart Damien McClafferty who sent a fine pass out to winger Richard Bartlett who ran from his own 10 meter line down the wing and under the posts. Conversion succesful.
Captain Gareth Christie was delighted with the second half performance and named Sammy McMullan and Richard Bartlett men of the match.

Similar Posts