Image ! Virginia RFC !

3 minutes, 35 seconds Read




Virginia U18 complete derby double in same week.


After beating neighbours North Meath 26-20 the previous Sunday, Virginia were hosting County Cavan R.F.C in the Ulster South League. They overcame the Cavan team by 9 tries to 1 on a final score of 51-5.


Once again, the Virginia lads took their time getting into the game and possession switched around aimlessly for the first 10 minutes.

Then, Virginia managed to build a few phases up to 15 metres away from Cavan try line. The play was switched and the ball was sent on the short side to flanker Steven Ryan who dashed over the line in the corner. 5-0 as the hard conversion was missed.

Virginia pressed on and doubled the score when, after good work from the forward to compress Cavan’s defence, Connor McHugh outflanked his opposite number to cross the line. 10-0 without the conversion.

Virginia did their usual trick and fell asleep. As a result, Cavan elusive fly-half picked up the ball from a scrum and evaded half a dozen poor tackle attempts to breeze his way 40 metres through Virginia defence. 10-5.

Virginia pride was hurt and the reaction was swift. From the kick-off Virginia regathered the ball, the play was stopped by the referee following an injury to a Cavan player. From the ensuing scrum the ball went wide, few decoy runs in the centre sat the Cavan defence. The ball reached full-back Sean Warren, the Cross lad managed the 2 on 1 perfectly to release powerful winger Keelan Sheridan who, in turn, thundered down the line for his first try of the day. No conversion 15-5

From the kick-off, Virginia were on the attack again and after few darting runs by the forwards through the middle of the pitch, Virginia probed at Cavan defence on the right hand-side. The play then went wide on the left were Number 8 Rory Smith fixed the last defender to send winger Anthony Moore into space. Moore still had a lot of ground to cover, but after a forceful hand-over to beat the last scrambling defender he ran unopposed to score in between the posts. A great score converted by Daragh O’Leary. The referee blew half time on a score line of 22-5.


Virginia started the second act well, when fly-half John Cooke hoisted a high kick from the half way line. The chase was on lead by Kilinkere ginger centre Nathan McQuade. Eventually the ball came back down, Cavan full-back miss-judged the flight of the ball and let it bounce. McQuade was on hand to gather the facetious rebound and sprinted to the line from 20 metres out. 29-5 after O’Leary dully converted.

From that point on, Virginia were in control and took the opportunity to introduced fresh legs, Gareth Mannion, Samuel Ajetunmobi and Gerry Flynn were brought on.

Cavan were tiring and space was on offer. Virginia seized the opportunity and in the space of 5 minutes Keelan Sheridan added two more tries to his tally in his now trade mark direct run. The Shercock Express powered his way down the tracks twice bouncing defenders on his way as well as the eventual touch judge and flags! Sheridan second half double took Virginia to a comfortable 39-5.

The next score originated from a well caught lineout, the ball was played off the top, Nathan McQuade was sent crashing through the middle and couldn’t be stopped 10 metres away from the line. Simple but effective. Daragh O’Leary kicked the conversion 46-5.

The final score came after a multi-phase attack, Virginia moved the ball across the pitch, recycling possession. Then 5 metres from Cavan try line, prop Owen Doyle took a short pass from a ruck. Doyle put his head down and powered through the last tackles to cross the line. The conversion was missed and the final whistle blown on a score of 51-5.


A good performance by the Virginia team despite a slow start. Credit must go to the Cavan team who never gave up and kept on going till the final whistle.

After beating North Meath the previous week, more bragging rights were taken and the unofficial title of the N3 champions with it!

League action again next week when Virginia will host Ballyshannon in their last fixture before the Christmas break.


Similar Posts